EG45M-DS2H board doing random posts or none at all!!!

odie_33

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
I bought this board along with 2*2GB Kingston DDR2 SDRAM and a Quad Core 2.33GHz (Q8200) to assemble the other day.

Once everything was inside I tried powering it on. Nothing... not even anything on screen. I tapped the CAPS LOCK on the keyboard throughout to see if it responds... nothing. Just the Phase LED on full and then off.... then on.. then off.

Having checked the other threads with similar problems, I then disconnected anything that isn't necessary for POST and left with just the RAM and CPU. The RAM is on slot 1,3 (I even tried on slots 2,4 and the other permutations too).

A power on again did nothing and so I tried shorting the pins and taking out the battery. Horray! Now something comes up.
The nice Gigabyte logo screen with a load of selections.

Now having thought that it was done and everything's ok, things start getting worse. I pressed TAB to let it POST.. It went to the IDE detecting thing and then the screen just went off.

I powered off and then on again.... gigabyte screen.. press DEL to try and enter BIOS... it didn't of course and as soon as I pressed DEL, the screen went off. Keyboard no response either (pressed CAPS LOCK and no lights on keyboard).

Power off and on again, nothing.... not even Gigabyte screen.

Took out battery and shorted the pins... powered on.. Gigabyte screen...

TAB -> checking things.. IDE etc etc screen off...

What the??? Is it me or does anyone here have similar problems?
Is it a motherboard problem here or a power supply one?

I tried this with and without HDD connected and the same problem occurs.

wtfchuck

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Try posting with only one ram stick. If you can get in to the BIOS try to up the DIMM voltage. I have seen similar situations on many models.

odie_33

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
I'm going to get the PC checked today. I'd rather pay $150 than mess around again with other things. It's possibly the motherboard or a PSU problem. As for RAM, I can't believe both are screwed. How much voltage does it need to load the BIOS screen anyway?? Every time it posts, it goes off after detecting the HDD and if I choose to go to BIOS or any other option the video turns off. >.<

I'd rather it give me an error or ANY beep code than for the picture to disappear.

G

I have the gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H same problem am waiting on new memory at this time but think its a motherboard problem may have to rma it.