Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 8800 GT 512 OC Texture ugliness...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2008 4:37:27 PM

A month or so ago, I bought a BFG Nvidia 8800 GT 512 OC graphics card for my pc (so that I could play Crysis). Incidentally, everything worked wonderfully for the first month. I could play Crysis on the maximum settings with no drop in framerate, and I was very happy.

Suddenly, my graphics just sucked. Completely out of the blue. I was getting these weird texture lines everywhere, that is, I could see differences in textures (I think it's called mip-mapping) where I couldn't before. I could no longer run antialiasing on Crysis without a dramatic drop in framerate. I also had to lower my settings to med-high, where before they were all on very high. Even now, if I put the settings on very high, everything looks like crap. The anti-aliasing doesn't reduce jaggies, the texture lines are still there, and the colors just seem off.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

You can clearly see differences in color and textures going down. It's like there are horizontal bars of texture.

That's my biggest grievance here. I can tolerate the poor performance for now, but those bars have got to go. It's not just Crysis, but all of my games which now have this problem.

Oh, and all of my drivers are updated, including the Nvidia and Directx drivers. My games are also patched. I have a 700w PSU, working fine. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

Can anyone help?

July 26, 2008 5:19:49 PM

if you can tell us what the average temp is in the room and of the card itself, then maybe we can tell you if your card is going bye bye
July 26, 2008 5:44:12 PM

My core temp is 54 degrees C, and ambient temp is 40 degrees C. Room temperature is... I don't know what it is in C, but it's about 70 degrees F.

Related resources
July 26, 2008 5:46:53 PM

have you contacted EA lames support?
even my 7300GT can play the crysis demo with those lines.
July 26, 2008 5:55:59 PM

I'm not having problems playing Crysis. I mean, I still CAN play it. My problem is that all of my games now have those ugly texture bars, when they didn't used to. The picture I included is of Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. Used to look beautiful, now looks like crap.
July 26, 2008 6:31:53 PM

I would try reinstalling the drivers.
July 26, 2008 6:34:58 PM

Already tried it. Twice...
July 26, 2008 6:40:38 PM

check ur driver Graphics Quality setting

Make sure the slider is all the way to the right, cause that car to the left makes textures look ugly on my 8800gt.

But ur case seems somewhat...strange.... ?
July 26, 2008 7:09:33 PM

Hmm... try installing your graphic card on other computer.
July 26, 2008 7:14:21 PM

In your windows display settings (or Nvidia control panel) are you using 16 bit colour or 32 bit colour? If it is 16 bit colour, that could explain the screenshot you posted, although I've no idea about the other issues.
July 26, 2008 8:12:21 PM

sounds like defective GPU. I think that the warranty will cover it.
July 26, 2008 8:17:31 PM

My quality settings are maxed out. I've toyed with all of them, the anisotropic filtering, anti-aliasing, gamma, trilinear/bilinear filtering, resolution, vsync, etc... no dice. I'm using 32-bit color for everything (card and monitor). I thought that could be it too, since it looks like 256 or 16 bit coloring, but again, no-go...

(sigh) I'm at my wit's end.
July 27, 2008 8:36:47 PM

It's definitely hardware problem! Contact your retailer for assintance. that's my opinion.
!