"missing operating system" after changing motherboard

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Hello,
recently my motherboard (GA 8ipe1000) have got problem and I have to replace with another one and since the system
is old the new(!) motherboard is Iwill p4sp2.

Now when the system want to boot I get this error: "Missing operating system" :ouch: :ouch: and it can not be booted. I googled a lot and found that by changing a hardware (here, my motherboard) system would boot up because currently installed windows has previous motherboard configuration and more.... :non:

A solution all websites have is to repair the windows (not through recovery console though) and they say this time by repairing new configurations are written compatible with new motherboard.

For me this solution does not work :fou: and I am really confused :pfff: ... During the setup process for reinstalling XP, necessary files are copied and then the system restarts. Now since it wrote a new mbr, it has to boot from hard drive and continue reinstallation. Again for me, after rebooting I still get "missing operating system" error (!!) :fou: :fou: so I can not continue repairing xp

what is the problem and how can I reinstall xp :( :cry:

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Have you checked to make sure that the setting for the IDE/SATA Mode to be either Native IDE or IDE, beacause if you left it @ "AHCI", you won't be able to boot up the old OS from that hard drive.

Hope this helps.

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
You mean new motherboard bios settings or the old one? In what section this setting is available?

This motherboard has no manual and I noticed that Iwill has no website (In the first screen during POST it says www.iwill.net but this site is no longer available)

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I am doing that in parallel with this problem so see if there is another motherboard (if available) but till then I have to struggle with this....

Agreed. Check your BIOS settings and make sure your motherboard is set to boot off the proper Hard Drive. If you have multiple, it may be searching the wrong hard drive for an operating system. If it doesn't find one, it doesn't keep scanning other drives.

For instance, I have one SATA drive, and one IDE hard drive. The motherboard by default wants to read the IDE drive first. So I had to change my boot priority so that SATA drive came up before the IDE drive.

Check that out. Probably the most likely problem.

mahmood

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I deattached all other hard drives and only connect the one that has boot record. in previous motherboard, it was attachted to IDE0 and now I connect it to the same socket in the new one.

Also the boot priority is the same as before: CD-ROM, HDD, FLOPPY in order

There is a link about this motheboard: http://www.flextronics.com/iwill/product_2.asp?p_id=68

I am exactly in this situation. One SATA and one IDE and the system boots from IDE. But are you sure that SATA should be first? since system boots from IDE I think it has to be the first