I've done all I can do.. S.O.S Radeon HD3850

armani2468

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Ok, so I finally received my Radeon HD 3850 and yes I'm excited I have sentimental feelings for my first Rig. I am hoping to at least keep her for another year or so (off topic) I uninstall my old Ati drivers etc. reboot in safe mode run drive cleaner (make sure she's clean) reboot , go right into 8.7 Hotfix, installs fine reboot slap in Halo for the hell of it (wanted to see difference in quality and performance) and after 10 min. I get this "VPU recover no longer responding to graphics driver commands. wtf? so I'm thinking ok maybe it's the new hotfix (buggie) so I than uninstall, run drive cleaner again, blah, blah Google hotfix 8.6 run that hoping that should resolve my headache ...... couldn't be that easy right.. :fou: now I'm getting this error right before it installs driver " Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system setup will now exit. WFT! so google and read more on troubleshooting in another forum someone said that not all the of the hotfix is compatible with MB chipset and to try the other hot fix.... So I tried to install 8.5 all the way down to 8.3 and I keep receiving the same error msg. " Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system setup will now exit".

What gives !!!!! I spent several hours on troubleshooting and I haven't made any progress besides polishing off 3 red bulls and a big bag of Doritos.

Specs:

Updated Drivers (Chipset as well)
P4 2.8 HT 533 FSB
Soyo Platinum Edition Via P4x400 Chipset
2 DDR Ram
600 Watt Xion
450 WD HD
DVD Sony Burner x2
Zalman ZM-MFC2
Asus Silent Knight
Clear ATX case
TT LED reader scrolling temp
5 Case Fans
21" ViewSonic
UPS Belkin
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
Lava lamp.. :)

I was ocing but put it back to norm and still no luck fyi:

So can someone please, please help..... at that point where I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow and put a new rig together but I still have hope :ange:

hsetir

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
When I bought my 8800gs the same error occured with the setup from guru3d. Actually the driver setup was not compatiable. Had to install from cd that came with the card. It worked. Later updated it with proper setup.

armani2468

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Go figure, I haven't tried that... k I'll post back shortly with findings.

Thanks! for the fast response....

I love this Forum :whistle:

armani2468

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Same error message " Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system setup will now exit"

Wow.. what is going on????

Anyone else??? Refund time?? New Rig???

Any other recommendations?

As i dont really know what the exact issue is with your card i will offer this at your own risk.
However i had an ATI card that did this and after making sure (well as sure as i could be) that it wasnt a hardware issue i simply went into the set up in the CCC, sorry cant remember where it is, and turned VPU recovery off. At the time i took some advice on the matter and was advised that it would likley just lock up if there was a fault, blue screen or some such crash as that is what the vpu recovery is there to stop. So going on the assumption it was a driver issue i turned it off and never had an issue again.
Again i was told it would do no harm but you will have to decide for yourself if you do or do not give it a try.

mactronix

lifeboat

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I also had this problem when I downloaded the latest ATI drivers for my ATI Sapphire HD 3850 AGP 512mb DDR3. A more informative error message would have been greatly appreciated.

The solution is my case was to download the Sapphire drivers at http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/support/drivers.php

At a bare minimum, the ATI driver page should point people out to the Sapphire site.

Eric Klien
Lifeboat Foundation
+1 (775) 329-0180 Voice
+1 (775) 329-0190 Fax
Skype ID lifeboathq
Twitter lifeboathq
http://lifeboat.com