Sign in with
Your question

Help with card selection + resolution Q - nvidia 8400GS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2008 8:18:16 PM

Hi gang,

I need your input/advice on the following two issues:

I currently have a nvidia 8400GS-256 (PCI-Ex16) card (by Foxconn)...
I have 2 monitors that have a native res of 1440X900 & 1920X1200 "respectively"... My goal is to power
1. I can't set this card to either res... I believe that I have the latest driver...
Q: Am I doing something wrong or is this card incapable of supporting both/either of these res? (I can't even set it to the lower of the two res's)

2. Should it turn out that I need to purchase a new card, I'd like to get recommendations for brand & model... This system is NOT going to be used for gaming... I'm guesstimating that either 256 or 512 RAM should suffice...

Please let me know if I missed listing any relevant details...

TIA...
July 26, 2008 8:28:16 PM

I don't know about the res, but I'd go 9600 if you get a new card, fast enough that it'd last you forever if you don't game or do rendering, and fairly cheap. I'd try to help on the res but am stuck on a crusty 17 inch for a bit so i'd have no clue other than to make sure your monitor "driver (.inf) file is installed, so that windows and your video card know your specs. Sometimes if you have a generic monitor listed, it won't make the other resolutions and stuff available. Good luck, I hope someone with an lcd jump in here to help.
July 26, 2008 9:09:05 PM

You might need to install the "monitor drivers" for each monitor. Windows often will not identify all the resolutions a monitor supports without that tiny bit of software. 256MB of memory is plenty for a dual monitor setup if you're not running anything 3D intensive and that would still not limit your resolution choices. Are you running DVI or VGA?

-mcg
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 26, 2008 9:20:12 PM

Foxconn does not actually list the max resolution supported by that video card. However, being an 8 series card I'm going to take the leap and assume the chipset is plenty capable of running both resolutions.

As Mr.CommunistGen suggested, I'd try to locate and install the latest "monitor drivers" for each monitor and see if that helps.
July 27, 2008 5:16:07 AM

Update:
I learned something new with this rather simple setup issue...
All three of you were right about the need to install the display drivers...
That sure did the trick and revealed the appropriate res's that I was looking for...

For some reason, I misread the native res of the 19", when I was trying to configure a better res about a month ago... I re-looked into it today and got the correct figures... fortunately, the card supports it...

Turns out that the 8400GS-256 is a more capable card than I thought it was... pleasantly surprised...

So, this one happy camper is thanking you guys whole heatedly... :bounce: 
!