Sign in with
Your question

Eeepc 1005HA / Broken wifi?

Last response: in Windows XP
November 15, 2010 7:46:07 PM

Hi all. I have owned a 1005HA-H eeepc for about 6 months by now and I've used the factory windows installation and a ubuntu install for a while.

All went well for a long time. A week ago, my wifi card went missing on my ubuntu installation (single boot, not dual). I figured it was Ubuntu's fault, tried all my limited knowledge on linux could grasp and, eventually, gave up. My wifi card only showed up twice, always after activating it before booting up. If I disabled it while on Ubuntu, it wouldn't come back. Eventually, not even that worked anymore. Resorted to windows xp.

On a fresh windows xp installation, my wifi was great, all was great, I was delighted all was back working properly. However, it didn't last long. Soon my wifi card went missing, windows couldn't see it anymore. I tried all ways of enabling and disabling it, be it through ACPI commands on windows or through the bios itself before booting. Nothing worked.

I'm beginning to think it's gone sour. The card must be dead. You know how things just workout fine when all is ok? I got a bad feeling about it.

I came down to 2 hypothesis:

1: The card broke down, got to get a new one
2: The bios can't control whether the card is on or off, ACPI gone crazy.

Any advice is welcome. I'm thinking about using it's warranty.

Horacio.
a b \ Driver
November 16, 2010 5:59:34 AM

Go with #1.

m
l
!