Sign in with
Your question

Not sure what virus I have...

Last response: in Windows XP
November 15, 2010 8:32:05 PM

I was working on a customers computer that had the thinkpoint virus. I have a USB stick that I use with all my removal tools, and it turns out i was missing malwarebytes. I unplugged the USB and put it in my personal computer and avg popped up giving me maybe 1000 errors. Everything that was running was a virus (I would open IE and it would list under avg as a virus). I was having a blonde day and figured there was something wrong with the computer so i put the usb stick in my netbook and sure enough the same thing happened. I am not able to open IE or FF, but I can open Chrome. I have run every removal tool I had maybe 3 times each in safe mode and it keeps coming back with problems and viruses. The only thing I can think of is to reformat but it's a very last option as I can NOT lose my files. I have a backup from maybe 2 weeks ago but that is it. I am afraid if i back up the files, they will carry the virus.

I hope I have explained that enough...

More about : virus

a b 8 Security
November 15, 2010 8:52:51 PM

Run through the malware guide in my signature.
m
l
November 15, 2010 9:02:10 PM

I saw that in the thinkpoint post, going through it now. I will let you know how it goes, thanks.
m
l
a b 8 Security
November 16, 2010 6:10:01 PM

You stick should be thoroughly cleaned between customers - carrying a problem from one system to another is wholly unprofessional. In this case, it's only your own system you've infected and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't need ComboFix to clean it up but you'd have been in deep manure if you'd plugged it into another customer's machine.

m
l
!