DirecTV's plans for the new birds

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 26, 2005 2:16:14 PM

With DirecTV launching new satellites (99 and 103, in addition to
101-110-119), I was wondering if anybody knows what their plans are for
the new satellites?

With the new MPEG-4 upgrade and new birds (99 and 103) in the sky and
coming online soon, will HD programming on 119 (and 110 too) be moved
to 99 and 103? I have problems (trees) that limit my reception on 119.
I'd be overjoyed to see the programming on that bird go to the new
satellites...

Anybody know what the plans are for these new satellites? I really
don't want to go back to cable...

More about : directv plans birds

September 26, 2005 9:28:35 PM

"proc" <darrenproctor@gmail.com> wrote in message
> With DirecTV launching new satellites (99 and 103, in addition to
> 101-110-119), I was wondering if anybody knows what their plans are for
> the new satellites?
>
> With the new MPEG-4 upgrade and new birds (99 and 103) in the sky and
> coming online soon, will HD programming on 119 (and 110 too) be moved
> to 99 and 103? I have problems (trees) that limit my reception on 119.
> I'd be overjoyed to see the programming on that bird go to the new
> satellites...
>
> Anybody know what the plans are for these new satellites? I really
> don't want to go back to cable...

Initially, there will be a trial of HD local in local programming in
Detroit. Shortly afterward, the other 11 top DMAs will be added. It looks
like it will be a while before anything but local spot beamed HD programming
will be involved.

Pat
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 10:04:59 AM

So, the new birds will have local HD's only? The current HD D* lineup
will stay on 110 and 119?
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:28:01 PM

proc (darrenproctor@gmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> So, the new birds will have local HD's only? The current HD D* lineup
> will stay on 110 and 119?

No and yes. The new satellites will carry some new CONUS HD channels
as well as LIL HD, but the current MPEG2 HD channels on DirecTV will stay
in place for quite a while (3-5 years is the working guesstimate).

--
Jeff Rife | "What are you looking at? You're laborers; you
!