Sign in with
Your question

Does SSD improve OS or everything?

Last response: in Storage
November 12, 2009 7:46:10 PM

Does installing an OS on an SSD + using a regular HDD improve only the windows bootup time or improve overall performance?

Also, how would you even set up an SSD-OS + HDD-storage configuration? Would the desktop be on the SSD or the HDD, and would you even have to install an OS on the HDD if you wanted your desktop to be on the HDD instead of the SSD if possible)?

More about : ssd improve

a c 126 G Storage
November 12, 2009 8:01:27 PM

You install your operating system (windows) + applications on the SSD, and use the HDD to store all your user-created files: movies, music, documents, whatever.

So to make this easy:
C: (SSD) stores windows + applications
D: (HDD) stores your personal files, often large files like 700MB .avi / .rar / .iso whatever

SSDs would increase performance of booting, launching applications, performing application I/O and basically anything that involves the disks. It will not improve performance of gaming unless the game accesses the disk during gaming which only few games do. It will enhance game loading times, etc.

Basically, it will allow your CPU to finally get to do some work, as right now most of time your CPU cannot do any work because its waiting on disk input. So for example it would also enhance performance when you click My Computer, or any other user-performed action. But it doesn't enhance performance of say transcoding a video, compressing a file or burning a dvd. Those tasks are not disk-bound.
November 12, 2009 9:02:33 PM

Sub,

How would you install the O.S. on a SSD thats only 80GB and the Games and Programs on a raid array?
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 13, 2009 12:55:22 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^Umm why CAN'T you install games + programs on the 80GB SSD?

@OP: Make sure you do these if running an SSD: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

Also note that putting a SSD in RAID will NOT allow you to run TRIM.

Well, at least in my case, because I have more than 80GB of games and programs.
a c 105 G Storage
November 13, 2009 1:52:18 AM

One trick is to install everything on the SSD, as much as yiou can fit anyway with 15% to spare. DON'T install the into C:\Program files. Install them into say:

C:\Crysis
C:\FarCry3
etc

Now copy all the games from your C:\Drive to the HD

D:\Crysis
D:\FarCry3
etc.

At this point, you can say keep your "5 fav games of the moment" on the SSD. When yoiu get done with it for a while, copy it back out to the hD and delete C:\[that game] folder. You wanna play it again, copy it back.

Bounce the folders back and forth as need be.....

a c 126 G Storage
November 13, 2009 10:18:56 AM

As a related note:

I'm now using a setup where my main NAS is using SSDs as cache device (actually a RAID0 of SSDs). This works like follows:

A large RAID5 array with regular HDDs (WD Greens) which stores alot of data. Normally this would be slow for random disk access. But because i'm using a ZFS setup its possible to add 'cache' devices to this array, which act as buffercache (60GB) for the most used data. So the parts of this multi-terabyte array which i use the most, will be stored on the cache device instead which has very high read IOps rate.

Normally the RAM is capable of doing this, but the RAM is usually not 60GB large. As SSDs are also perfectly capable of doing random reads, this would speed up the portions of the array the i use the most. And best of all: ZFS keeps track of what i actually use. And even with large 10GB+ games its likely that only portions of the data files are used; ZFS also keeps track of this. Its hard to do benchmarks as the RAM caches too, but as i play World of Warcraft from this array it loads very fast; while normally on 5400rpm WD Green disks it would be kind of slow.

Of course, such a thing is only possible with a NAS capable of running ZFS. But it shows a solution to the problem of having more data/applications/programs than you can store on the SSD.
November 17, 2009 1:09:32 PM

What? I'm confused... :pt1cable: 

How would I go about doing what you did if I have 3 320GB HDDs and 1 SSD?
!