What do you use to overclock

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
hey for amd do you use amd overdrive utilty i have seen screen shots on toms hardware while they were overclocking that they use it. Now can i use that or should i go into bios and change the stuff. Or is it when you change it in the program it also changes in the bios?

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Well AMD Overdrive is best used as an OC dial in software and HW monitor. You use it to find your max OC settings then go into Bios and change it to those values.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
oh ok so it does not change the bios settings as ur doing it, is it just temporary and when you turn ur pc off it resets itself. So its basically just to see how much you can overclock and then do it in bios so that instead of messing up in bios and then clearing the cmos, ur positive that the settings will work. i see i think.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
yes im positive. To be sure though, what mobo do you have. Only the later chipsets will work. If AOD will not work for you, use clockgen.

AMD Overdrive only supports specific AMD hardware. This is includes ATI cards (AMD bought ATI).

Unsupported hardware (CPU, graphics card, motherboard) require manual overclocking.

If you can use AMD Overdrive it's done through Windows. There's no need to enter the BIOS.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Please only use this as reference ato obtain your best OC clocks and to learn about OCing. When you are done use those values in the bios and set them there.