Best laptop-style keyboard?

I recently (and finally) taught myself how to type properly, rather than with the two index fingers and right thumb that had been my mainstay for two decades. I did that as I needed to be able to type faster that I was. The only side effect is that my short little fingers have a hard time working my venerable old IBM Model M buckling-spring (old-school clicky) keyboard as it has a relatively steep key pitch between the rows. I also got a hold of a Logitech Internet Navigator with membrane keys that is a little easier to type on but not by much, and the keys just feel squishy. However, I can type perfectly all day on my laptop with its perfectly flat scissor-switch keyboard.

So, I am looking to get a laptop-style scissor keyboard for my desktop. Does anybody know of a good one? It can be either USB or PS/2, color doesn't matter, and the only stipulations are that it has a numerical keypad off to the right and the keys have a nice even weight to them and aren't overly light or squishy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I saw you post this earlier and was watching for responses myself. I know you want a laptop type keyboard with the quality gennerally associated with the keyboard. The best keyboards I own are the Logitech G15's. I have two. Just a suggestion. 8) I wish I could still type 120 words per minute with 5 errors like I did in Jr. High. I wish I still had my teacher for something. At least to look at. 8)

I saw that one at one of the brick and mortar stores in town. I got to type a little on it and it was nice, but I had to pick my jaw up off the ground when I saw the price tag. $180+ is a little out of my price range.

halcyon

Splendid
Yeah, Logitech made it too expensive, really. ...but its a really great keyboard, I love the typing feel, it actually makes me want to type on it. The touchpad is okay once you adjust it and is nice when my MX Revolution is charging or when I'm not sitting at the desk.

The keyboard has an extraordinary range...30' plus, but I'm not sure why...who types 30' away from the screen?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
thats the best all in one laptop style keyboard you can get but its just too expensive!

this has similar notebook style key but without the touchpad.if you live in uk that is!
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0086523663.1220135440@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiadeemmkifehcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=751536&category_oid=

i like the aluminium construction make it feel exclusive and weighty.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I work with a lot of Macs and the newer iMacs come with a very nice aluminum keyboard that has the feel of a keyboard on a macbook if you have ever used one of those. Very nice. Might even consider one of those if it would work on pc, which it may being usb.

I live in the U.S., so I can't get it here (I looked to make sure :( )

@OhioU: I went and tried out one of the new thin Macintosh keyboards at the university bookstore (it was hooked to a dual 3.0 Clovertown Xeon MacPro and a 30" monitor.) It was exactly like a MacBook keyboard, but like MacBook keyboards I thought the keys were a little funky as they have that space between them and they were a little "soft" feeling. I run Debian Linux so I can use about any keyboard out there and the unit is only $50, so it's on my list but not at the top.

@pcgamer12: That looks like a membrane-switch keyboard and not a scissor-switch one, but it still might be a decent unit. The Microsoft peripherals I've used so far have been pretty good. I'll see if one of the brick and mortar stores has one as $30 is a decent price, but I'd like to type on it first if I could.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
"speaking the url and links"

Well.. if you like talking.. ALLOT, that would be a major tongue twister:

Code:
[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832182043&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062008&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062008-_-Software-_-L6B-_-32182043]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832182043&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL062008&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL062008-_-Software-_-L6B-_-32182043[/url]

That's the same url for the software. :lol:

The third Newegg reviewer writes, I mean says.

Headset, which is good for transcription, is *CHEAP* plastic fecal matter.

Well, I like the way the software emphasises the word *cheap* by detecting user emotional state. I guess his mother took it away from him after He spoke and had that highly sucessful bit of text converted . :lol:

After looking at many keyboards and typing on several, I decided to get the black, full-sized Enermax Aurora. It is sturdy big 'ol chunk of aluminum, has the scissor key switches, and Newegg has it for $55 ($75 less $20 MIR.) It should be here Thursday or Friday and I'll fill you in on how I like it.

If money was no object, the Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 keyboard would have been my top choice, but its $115 price tag was a bit too rich for my blood. MS makes some very nice keyboards, but unfortunately they are very well aware of it and charge a bundle.

teket4

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
We are manufacturer and exporter high quality keyboard for many years in china.We' v got a

series of Wireless Keyboard and wireless mouse presenter With Trackball or touchpad

(K3,K5,K6,K7,K8,K9),which are of diffrent capability.If you have interested,please feel

freely to contact us for further information.Good quality and competitive price are our big

advantages,we are sure that we can serve you the best.
Our products are:
2.4G Wirless keyboard with TRACKBALL
2.4G Wirless keyboard with TOUCHPAD
3-in-1 2.4GHz Wireless Laser Presenter Trackball Mouse
AnyControl Mouse Presenter
AnyControl Laser Presenter
Price for these goods are VERY COMPETITIVE!
The MOQ is 3000pcs

Contact information:
Address: P. O. Box 2861, Beijing, China
Zip/Post Code: 100085
Telephone :86-10-82894738
Fax :86-10-82893738