MEMORY WONT RUN AT ADVERTISED SPEED

Just built a new system and when I tried to boot up it locked up at the bios screen and would not go any further. I returned the MB for a replacement but same thing happened. I returned the memory and same thing happened. I then went into bios and took memory speed off auto and set it from 1066 to a lower speed of 833 (1:1.33 ratio) and all is well. Why cant the memory run at the advertised speed? I tried setting the mem voltage manually to 2.3v as marked on the mem sticks but it didn't make a difference. Nothing is overclocked and other then me slowing the mem to 833, all bios settings are untouched.
Thanks...

MSI NEO P45 MOTHERBOARD
INTEL E8400 CPU
Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 Eased Latency DIMM Kit
Extreme Bandwidth PC2-8500 (1066MHz)
VIDEO ATI 4870
9 answers Last reply
More about memory wont advertised speed
  1. I wonder if, like the older P35, the P45 has a problem with RAM that is intended to be clocked by default at higher than DDR2-800?

...I will content myself with sticking to RAM that operates at its advertised timing on the JEDEC standard 1.8V.
  2. First off, you should be running your memory at 1:1. Anything more will not give you noticeable performance gains.

You should run CPU-Z and see what the actual settings are for the various speeds. Found in the SPD tab.

It's also possible that your motherboard needs a BIOS flash to properly support your memory... but since you should be running at 667mhz anyway, you really don't want to mess with that.
  3. Not sure what you mean by running it at 1:1. First since it's a brand new build I had everything set to AUTO in the cell menu. It picked the 1066 mem speed which will not let the boot get past the bios screen. I turned the speed of the mem down to 833mhz and the machine works great.
    My question is.....if the mem I have is rated at 1066 and the board accepts faster then that, why can't I run it at that speed. I tried 2 different MBs and 2 sets of ram.
  4. I posted this 2 minutes ago in another similar thread ! :pfff:

Well here is some info on Core2 Duo regarding cpu, fsb and ram

fsb is quad pumped so X 4
    ram is ddr so X 2
    cpu speed is fsb real speed X cpu multiplier

So for your E8400 it goes like this

fsb = 1333 / 4 = 333 real fsb speed
    ram is 333 x 2 = 667
    so cpu speed is 333 x 9 = 2997mhz
  5. Your problem is the Patriot memory. It is not that good. I had Patriot DDR2-1150 that would not run at the specified 5-5-5-12, 2.3V. I tried everything I could think of, but it wouldn't run. Untill I set it to just 2.0V, then it worked. It didn't like the higher voltage, even though that's what the specs said.

So try using 2.0V and see if it works for you. Also manually set the timings to 5-5-5-15. Test each stick separately. You could have just 1 bad stick of ram.
  6. Ive only ever owned one pair of patriot dimms are they are junk. If was me return the things and buy something else... preferably at 800mhz.
  7. anthemmobil1 said:
    Just built a new system and when I tried to boot up it locked up at the bios screen and would not go any further. I returned the MB for a replacement but same thing happened. I returned the memory and same thing happened. I then went into bios and took memory speed off auto and set it from 1066 to a lower speed of 833 (1:1.33 ratio) and all is well. Why cant the memory run at the advertised speed? I tried setting the mem voltage manually to 2.3v as marked on the mem sticks but it didn't make a difference. Nothing is overclocked and other then me slowing the mem to 833, all bios settings are untouched.
    Thanks...

MSI NEO P45 MOTHERBOARD
    INTEL E8400 CPU
    Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500 Eased Latency DIMM Kit
    Extreme Bandwidth PC2-8500 (1066MHz)
    VIDEO ATI 4870

ITS MSI DONT EXPECT MUCH

second there right that 1:1 ratio with lower memory timings is far better, anything higher is useless, and with memory, your better off setting everything manually (timings, voltage and ratio's) so you know how its running etc.
  8. I recommend G Skill
  9. Mushkin and A-Data both have some decent DDR2-800 that runs at its advertised timings (5-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-18, respectively) on the JEDEC standard 1.8V. The difference in timing will probably not be noticeable in actual use, but the Muskin can probably be manually oc'ed higher if you want to do it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory BIOS