Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Issue?

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 4:14:13 PM

Windows XP, Harddrive issues. Can run chkdsk as it won't lock drive and I am not the administrator. How can I run chkdks or get admin password so that i can. windows disk repair won't work either, it asks me to schedule upon reboot, but never runs. :-(

More about : hard drive issue

November 17, 2010 12:10:20 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Buwish
m
l
November 17, 2010 3:39:59 PM

Quote:
Windows XP, Harddrive issues. Can run chkdsk as it won't lock drive and I am not the administrator. How can I run chkdks or get admin password so that i can. windows disk repair won't work either, it asks me to schedule upon reboot, but never runs. :-(

Your Windows disk should be able to do it even if you aren't the Administrator. Pop it in and hit any key to run from it then let it go through the early motions of installing then at the prompt, press R for the repair option, and next press Function 8n to accept the EULA. You'll be offered the choice of which installation to repair and mostly, that will be Number 1 - even if it doesn't show on the screen because it's way off to the left. Type 1 anyway and Enter and finally when you see the Command Prompt - a C:\ in white on a black screen, type chkdsk /r (including the space) and press Enter. The five stage process qwill begin and may take quite a long time.

m
l
!