Roaming profiles

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

We're planning to use 'roaming' profiles for our company users. They all
have Win2000 or WinXP desktop stations, our domain runs on a Win2003 server.

After configuring a test user profile to be a roaming I noticed, that after
I log-in to a computer, a profile is first created on a local computer and
after log-of it is copied to server, where we set a shared folder for
profiles. That's ok, I assume that this is how roaming profiles work. So I
logged into a domain from other computer and great all data was right here
for me.

But the strange is, that every time that I log into a domain from a
different computer a profile is also created on a local computer (under
documents and settings), and after log out the profile stays on a local
computer, with all the data in it - local profile is not deleted.

Is this normally for this type of profiles or can be changed?. I'm asking
because after a while user profiles can get quite big, since users store all
kind of data J

And I really don't see a point to have a local and a server copy of a
'roaming' profile. Or am I wrong?

Thank you all in advance for help and info

Regards

Miha

"Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We're planning to use 'roaming' profiles for our company users. They all
> have Win2000 or WinXP desktop stations, our domain runs on a Win2003
> server.
>
> After configuring a test user profile to be a roaming I noticed, that
> after I log-in to a computer, a profile is first created on a local
> computer and after log-of it is copied to server, where we set a shared
> folder for profiles. That's ok, I assume that this is how roaming profiles
> work. So I logged into a domain from other computer and great all data was
> right here for me.
>
> But the strange is, that every time that I log into a domain from a
> different computer a profile is also created on a local computer (under
> documents and settings), and after log out the profile stays on a local
> computer, with all the data in it - local profile is not deleted.
>
> Is this normally for this type of profiles or can be changed?. I'm asking
> because after a while user profiles can get quite big, since users store
> all kind of data J
>
> And I really don't see a point to have a local and a server copy of a
> 'roaming' profile. Or am I wrong?
>
> Thank you all in advance for help and info
>
> Regards
>
> Miha

That's exactly how roaming profiles work. You'll want to use Folder
Redirection in addition to roaming profiles to manage the amount of data
transferred between the client and server each time a user logs on and off.

http://tinyurl.com/4m5gc

You may have to do some user training to let them know how they organize
their data to make your life easier and save themselves a lot of time when
they logon and logoff.

Good Luck,

Carl

seth

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

the best thing that i've found is to use folder redirection, specifically
for the my documents folder, so they are actually seeing a folder on the
server, instead of part of their profile
that will save on having to download a huge profile every time

as far as having a local and roaming profile, you need to have a profile
locally when you are logged in, but if the profile remains after logging off
(and you don't want that), the group policy can be changed in AD to clear
cached copies of roaming profiles

"Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
> Hi
>

> We're planning to use 'roaming' profiles for our company users. They all
> have Win2000 or WinXP desktop stations, our domain runs on a Win2003
> server.
>

> After configuring a test user profile to be a roaming I noticed, that
> after I log-in to a computer, a profile is first created on a local
> computer and after log-of it is copied to server, where we set a shared
> folder for profiles. That's ok, I assume that this is how roaming profiles
> work. So I logged into a domain from other computer and great all data was
> right here for me.
>
> But the strange is, that every time that I log into a domain from a
> different computer a profile is also created on a local computer (under
> documents and settings), and after log out the profile stays on a local
> computer, with all the data in it - local profile is not deleted.
>
> Is this normally for this type of profiles or can be changed?. I'm asking
> because after a while user profiles can get quite big, since users store
> all kind of data J
>
> And I really don't see a point to have a local and a server copy of a
> 'roaming' profile. Or am I wrong?
>

> Thank you all in advance for help and info
>
> Regards
>
> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

Enable the policy described here:

Using Group Policy to Delete Cached Copies of Roaming Profiles
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274152/

Regards,
Torgeir

Miha wrote:

> Hi
>

> We're planning to use 'roaming' profiles for our company users. They all
> have Win2000 or WinXP desktop stations, our domain runs on a Win2003 server.
>

> After configuring a test user profile to be a roaming I noticed, that after
> I log-in to a computer, a profile is first created on a local computer and
> after log-of it is copied to server, where we set a shared folder for
> profiles. That's ok, I assume that this is how roaming profiles work. So I
> logged into a domain from other computer and great all data was right here
> for me.
>
> But the strange is, that every time that I log into a domain from a
> different computer a profile is also created on a local computer (under
> documents and settings), and after log out the profile stays on a local
> computer, with all the data in it - local profile is not deleted.
>
> Is this normally for this type of profiles or can be changed?. I'm asking
> because after a while user profiles can get quite big, since users store all
> kind of data J
>
> And I really don't see a point to have a local and a server copy of a
> 'roaming' profile. Or am I wrong?
>

> Thank you all in advance for help and info
>
> Regards
>
> Miha

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Great. Thank you all for help and tips.
This with folder redirection will work for us. Thanks !

Regards
Miha

"seth" <seth@work.net> je napisal v sporoèilo
news:%23ePORANqFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl ...
> the best thing that i've found is to use folder redirection, specifically
> for the my documents folder, so they are actually seeing a folder on the
> server, instead of part of their profile
> that will save on having to download a huge profile every time
>
> as far as having a local and roaming profile, you need to have a profile
> locally when you are logged in, but if the profile remains after logging
> off (and you don't want that), the group policy can be changed in AD to
> clear cached copies of roaming profiles
>
> "Miha" <miha.bernik@isg.si> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>

>> We're planning to use 'roaming' profiles for our company users. They all
>> have Win2000 or WinXP desktop stations, our domain runs on a Win2003
>> server.
>>

>> After configuring a test user profile to be a roaming I noticed, that
>> after I log-in to a computer, a profile is first created on a local
>> computer and after log-of it is copied to server, where we set a shared
>> folder for profiles. That's ok, I assume that this is how roaming
>> profiles work. So I logged into a domain from other computer and great
>> all data was right here for me.
>>
>> But the strange is, that every time that I log into a domain from a
>> different computer a profile is also created on a local computer (under
>> documents and settings), and after log out the profile stays on a local
>> computer, with all the data in it - local profile is not deleted.
>>
>> Is this normally for this type of profiles or can be changed?. I'm asking
>> because after a while user profiles can get quite big, since users store
>> all kind of data J
>>
>> And I really don't see a point to have a local and a server copy of a
>> 'roaming' profile. Or am I wrong?
>>

>> Thank you all in advance for help and info
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Miha

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <#PzlSNMqFHA.2968@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, miha.bernik@isg.si
says...
> Hi
>

> We're planning to use 'roaming' profiles for our company users. They all
> have Win2000 or WinXP desktop stations, our domain runs on a Win2003 server.
>

> After configuring a test user profile to be a roaming I noticed, that after
> I log-in to a computer, a profile is first created on a local computer and
> after log-of it is copied to server, where we set a shared folder for
> profiles. That's ok, I assume that this is how roaming profiles work. So I
> logged into a domain from other computer and great all data was right here
> for me.
>
> But the strange is, that every time that I log into a domain from a
> different computer a profile is also created on a local computer (under
> documents and settings), and after log out the profile stays on a local
> computer, with all the data in it - local profile is not deleted.
>
> Is this normally for this type of profiles or can be changed?. I'm asking
> because after a while user profiles can get quite big, since users store all
> kind of data J
>
> And I really don't see a point to have a local and a server copy of a
> 'roaming' profile. Or am I wrong?

You also want to implement "redirection of My Documents" to some other
server share.

There is a group policy setting that will cause the local profile to be
deleted when you log out - just search google for it.

The local copy is so that if the server is down you can still logon to
the workstation - if you delete the local profile you can't logon
without a good network/server connection.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

In news:OYukzGNqFHA.3524@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Miha <miha.bernik@isg.si> typed:
> Great. Thank you all for help and tips.
> This with folder redirection will work for us. Thanks !

Note also that profiles are not compatible between OS versions. So either
get everyone on XP Pro, or make sure users do not log into workstations
running OSes other than that for which their profile was configured.