Sign in with
Your question

Sata drive not recognized

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2009 12:55:04 PM

While working yesterday, my secondary (non-boot) sata drive in the system apparently became corrupt and although recognized by the system (XP), the error message said it was corrupt. Picked up a new sata drive, installed it and set it up ... all was working fine. Shut the system down to put it back together and went to reboot ... now the primary (original) sata drive is not recognized by the bios, although the new sata drive is recognized ... so I checked cables, connections, sata channels basically everything and although the bios sees the new drive (and by the way the older corrupt sata drive I replaced ... I put it in to see if bios would recognize that and it did) ... but no matter what, it does not see the original C drive that was working perfectly. Silly to think that this is happening on Friday the 13th ... but could this have been some sort of virus? It is very odd that both drives failed in the same day, but at different times. Since the XP operating system is only on the drive that the bios won't recognize, the XP CD does not see it either (to Repair installation). I'm stumped!

More about : sata drive recognized

a c 342 G Storage
November 13, 2009 1:03:47 PM

You could try hooking up the original C: drive unit to another SATA port, just in case the problem is one bad port. Also try changing the data cable for this drive. But I'm wondering whether the mobo itself has a problem since TWO SATA devices failed within a very short time.
November 13, 2009 1:17:53 PM

Paperdoc said:
You could try hooking up the original C: drive unit to another SATA port, just in case the problem is one bad port. Also try changing the data cable for this drive. But I'm wondering whether the mobo itself has a problem since TWO SATA devices failed within a very short time.

Yes, I already checked other ports, cables and connections ... the newer drive is seen on all the ports, I even used the cable from the new drive with the older one (after knowing it worked fine with the port and cable). HDD is spinning and during the bios auto detect routine, HDD indicator light (on the front of the computer) lights up and stays lit ... no flashing ... which also troubles me. I thought it might be the mobo, but everything else seemed fine and was operating perfectly after installing the new drive until I shut it down and rebooted. Also, as I think I mentioned before, the old 'corrupt' drive is seen by the bios. Thanks for the quick reply and ideas.
!