Sign in with
Your question

HSF driving me CRAZY!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 18, 2009 6:48:38 PM

I have a Zalman CNPS9900 on a Gigabyte X58-UD4P board. No matter what settings I change the fan to in the bios (auto, voltage, pwm), the thing runs at 100%. I also have smart fan control enabled. Is there anyway to lower the speed on this thing? Its the noisiest thing in my case. I have looked online for hours and still haven't found a solution. It is a 4 pin connector on the fan going into a 4 pin cpu fan connector on the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

More about : hsf driving crazy

a c 86 K Overclocking
July 18, 2009 8:37:04 PM

Is there a setting for temp and fan % in the bios?

What is your CPU running at? Try HWMonitor the latest version. Your CPU might be so hot it needs full fan speed.
July 18, 2009 9:00:13 PM

Conumdrum said:
Is there a setting for temp and fan % in the bios?

What is your CPU running at? Try HWMonitor the latest version. Your CPU might be so hot it needs full fan speed.

I have tried it at both 4Ghz and the standard 2.66 clock and it still runs full speed. At full speed, cpu temp is 43 at 4GHz and 36 at 2.66GHz. Its definitely not a temp thing. I'll try HWmonitor. Easy tune 6 or speedfan don't work for changing the fan speed btw.
Related resources
July 18, 2009 9:26:41 PM

Btw, there is no setting to adjust the fan speed based on temperature. Only fan fail warnings.
a c 86 K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 5:18:37 AM

Get a fan controller with temp probes?
July 19, 2009 5:38:44 AM

Conumdrum said:
Get a fan controller with temp probes?

Yeah, I realize that is last resort. Its just weird that I had a Zalman with an old motherboard that worked with automatic fan control from 2005. You would think the newer and more apt Zalman as well as a newer motherboard would be able to as well, that is the area where I am a bit confused. I think its possible to have it be controlled, its just not configured properly.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 6:30:31 AM

As long as you are plugged into the CPU fan input on the motherboard and have a fan without its own speed managment built in as some do then the issue is with the BIOS settings.

Usually you can monitor the CPU fan speed and and temperature right from the BIOS so you can make changes, reboot and enter BIOS again to see if they had effect.

If you have XP and an AMD processor you'll need to:
1) install the CPU drivers
2) install the dual-core software from AMD
3) enable "Minimal Power Management" from power options

The above only allows "Cool and Quiet" if supported. It is separate from the fan speed control in hardware but when the CPU is not needed below a certain point the frequency and voltage are reduced which makes it run cooler and the fan slower.
July 19, 2009 6:45:18 AM

photonboy said:
As long as you are plugged into the CPU fan input on the motherboard and have a fan without its own speed managment built in as some do then the issue is with the BIOS settings.

Usually you can monitor the CPU fan speed and and temperature right from the BIOS so you can make changes, reboot and enter BIOS again to see if they had effect.

If you have XP and an AMD processor you'll need to:
1) install the CPU drivers
2) install the dual-core software from AMD
3) enable "Minimal Power Management" from power options

The above only allows "Cool and Quiet" if supported. It is separate from the fan speed control in hardware but when the CPU is not needed below a certain point the frequency and voltage are reduced which makes it run cooler and the fan slower.

I don't have an AMD processor so I dont' have cool'n'quiet support. I have a bunch of other options including thermal throttling etc, but these all relate to the clock speed and not fan speed. Also, minimal power management didn't do anything.
!