Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Where should I plug my SSD?

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2009 1:17:46 PM

I'm building a new PC and my motherboard (ASUS P5Q-SE) has 6 SATA 3GB/s ports and RAID 0/1/5/10, where should I plug my SSD? I want it to be my primary disk, later I still install a regular HDD for storage.

Thanks in advance.

More about : plug ssd

a b V Motherboard
a c 126 G Storage
November 13, 2009 1:27:57 PM

ASUS P5Q-SE has ICH10, without RAID support. It has 6 red coloured SATA ports, that are all chipset-powered. So it doesn't matter where you plug your SSD, but i recommend to put the system disk in SATA port 1 (check your manual or look on the motherboard PCB to see which port is port 1).
November 13, 2009 2:09:52 PM

sub mesa said:
ASUS P5Q-SE has ICH10, without RAID support. It has 6 red coloured SATA ports, that are all chipset-powered. So it doesn't matter where you plug your SSD, but i recommend to put the system disk in SATA port 1 (check your manual or look on the motherboard PCB to see which port is port 1).

Ok, thanks! So I assume I should put the HHD in SATA port 2, or it doesn't matter?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 126 G Storage
November 13, 2009 2:53:20 PM

Doesn't really matter, its just that if you put the system disk which will contain Windows (in your case the SSD) in port 2 and another HDD in port 1, your windows system drive could be called D: instead of C:, which is kind of annoying.

Putting the system disk first should resolve this, and any 'secondary' HDD you connect doesn't matter if its port 2 or port 6. Only some motherboard have 'extra' ports that can be slower than the regular chipset-powered SATA ports, but in your case you only have 6 chipset-powered ports which all have equal speed.
!