MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I'm building a new PC and my motherboard (ASUS P5Q-SE) has 6 SATA 3GB/s ports and RAID 0/1/5/10, where should I plug my SSD? I want it to be my primary disk, later I still install a regular HDD for storage.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Doesn't really matter, its just that if you put the system disk which will contain Windows (in your case the SSD) in port 2 and another HDD in port 1, your windows system drive could be called D: instead of C:, which is kind of annoying.

Putting the system disk first should resolve this, and any 'secondary' HDD you connect doesn't matter if its port 2 or port 6. Only some motherboard have 'extra' ports that can be slower than the regular chipset-powered SATA ports, but in your case you only have 6 chipset-powered ports which all have equal speed.

sub mesa

Distinguished
ASUS P5Q-SE has ICH10, without RAID support. It has 6 red coloured SATA ports, that are all chipset-powered. So it doesn't matter where you plug your SSD, but i recommend to put the system disk in SATA port 1 (check your manual or look on the motherboard PCB to see which port is port 1).

MARSOC_Operator

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Ok, thanks! So I assume I should put the HHD in SATA port 2, or it doesn't matter?

sub mesa

Distinguished
Doesn't really matter, its just that if you put the system disk which will contain Windows (in your case the SSD) in port 2 and another HDD in port 1, your windows system drive could be called D: instead of C:, which is kind of annoying.

Putting the system disk first should resolve this, and any 'secondary' HDD you connect doesn't matter if its port 2 or port 6. Only some motherboard have 'extra' ports that can be slower than the regular chipset-powered SATA ports, but in your case you only have 6 chipset-powered ports which all have equal speed.

Solution