Sign in with
Your question

Need serious help with performance

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2008 8:11:28 PM

So i have upgraded my pc recently (didnt make all the best decisions) but all in all i believe my setup should be decent for gaming. AMD Phenom 9500 (yea i know) Asus m3a mobo, 4 gb pc 8500 ocz hpc reaper ram, 2 x 150 gb raptor hd's, 550w ultra x psu, and a Bfg gtx 260 oc gpu. When gaming im noticing my buddys pc with is a few steps down on all fronts is blowing mine out of the water on fps. Im averaging 17 fps in AOC, while he is getting 40-50 with a amd x2 and a 8800 gt... this is insane.. so i downloaded 3dmark06 and it gets worse... im scoring 8700 3dmarks, this system should be 11000+ stock.

I have been reading and reading trying to find a solution, i have heard many different things... even some i dont belive at all like the fact i have an ati chipset using a nvidia card is causing it... i understand my cpu wasnt the best choice, but it should still outperform a older amd dual core... PLEASE HELP ME SOMEONE!

More about : performance

July 27, 2008 8:13:26 PM

There is/was a serious issue with AoC and Phenoms. Look it up on the AoC tech forums. There is a fix but im unsure of it right now.
July 27, 2008 8:16:18 PM

I did install the dual core optimizer, which is what i think your reffering to... even taking the aoc thing out of the picture, 8700 on 3dmark06 is telling me there is somthing seriously wrong...

here is what im wondering:

Could my motherboard cause this in any way, shape or form?
could this be cause by not enough power from my psu?
Related resources
July 27, 2008 8:24:21 PM

Make sure you are NOT using the 175.xx drivers
July 27, 2008 8:30:49 PM

since i have the gtx 260, there is only 1 choice for drivers as far as im aware
July 27, 2008 8:38:27 PM

I think with a phenom, 4g ram and a 260 you are seriously under powered on your PSU.
July 27, 2008 8:44:28 PM

is it possible that a underpower'd system can run all of its components fine, but cause low performance? it was my understanding that if the machine ran then it was fine.. if it was my psu shouldnt i be getting intermittent power shutdowns?
July 27, 2008 9:02:27 PM

zengin said:
is it possible that a underpower'd system can run all of its components fine, but cause low performance? it was my understanding that if the machine ran then it was fine.. if it was my psu shouldnt i be getting intermittent power shutdowns?

I've been reading lots of comments on this forum when people complain about low performance, that the psu may be causing it.
Im still about to see any review actually proving that the systems performance really decreases ( and i mean by a large amount) when the psu isnt enough instead of causing instability in the system or as you mentioned, intermittent power shutdowns
July 27, 2008 11:37:09 PM

If you dont want help, dont ask. Sorry there is no magic wand to wave to fi your piece of crap.

Hers your problem: You dont listen!

#1. Phenom 9500s are defective right from the manufacturer but you bought one anyhow.

#2. Just because your PC turns on only means it has power to run but when your GPU is under powered it will under perform. Same as a CPU.

So now you have a problem because you dont listen to know facts.
July 28, 2008 12:34:02 AM

Chill, it almost seems like you read my post and you toke me for the OP.
If that's the case, im not the OP, zengin is.

And if thats not the case, your awnser at the beginning and the end was uncalled for, not to mention rude.
July 28, 2008 12:59:30 AM

i used to have a 7900gtx that would underclock its self to keep the system stable because my psu wasnt enough. and obviosly systems draw more power under load, like games 3dmark ect, so maby if the psu is not powerful enough your gtx260 is underclocking to maintain stability at the cost of performance.

to test this try running ati tool or something like you would to test a gpu overclock, and when you run the 3d view use rivatuner to monitor clock speeds.
July 28, 2008 1:23:22 AM

Thanks for the input (all but 1 poster anyways) after reading the comments on here and checking some more on the net i have decided that it could more than likely be my psu. Even if it is not ultimately the fix all im looking for, power starving my pc isnt good no matter what. I am now looking into a modular 1000+ watt psu.

thanks again for (most of) your input!
July 28, 2008 5:44:59 AM

zengin said:
Thanks for the input (all but 1 poster anyways) after reading the comments on here and checking some more on the net i have decided that it could more than likely be my psu. Even if it is not ultimately the fix all im looking for, power starving my pc isnt good no matter what. I am now looking into a modular 1000+ watt psu.

thanks again for (most of) your input!

get a pc power and cooling powersupply.. probably the 750wat silencer or anything better will do..
!