Sign in with
Your question

Can you use different brand GPU's for SLi?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 1, 2008 1:35:07 PM

Hey guys, I'm asking this one, because I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone here at work.

I am currently running 2 X XFX GTX280 Extreme Edition (640/1400) video cards, and want to purchase a third. Unfortunately, these cards are very hard to come by now so I've started wondering whether or not to purchase new cards all together.

Now, I've been told that using different brands isn't an issue, but something people can't seem to answer is whether or not the difference in factory clock speeds would effect SLi compatability.

Can I use different editions of the GTX280 to run Tri SLi? Or would the difference in clock/mem/shade freqs render that setup impossible?

I've also heard another rumour that with the GeForce series, you can use cards either one model above or below to run SLi (eg 7800GTX and an 8800GTX) - is that true?

Thanks guys, should see some interesting responses here.

More about : brand gpu sli

October 1, 2008 1:55:12 PM

Hi Taskforcetiny.

You can use different brands of Nvidia cards for SLI provided that they are the same model.

Example: EVGA GTX 280, XFX GTX 280=SLI

You can use different clocked versions of Nvidia cards for SLI as long as they are the same model. Bear in mind that with this setup, SLI will default to the slowest GPU clock frequency in your setup.

Example: EVGA GTX 280 FTW edition (clocked 670mhz), XFX GTX 280 (Clocked 602mhz)=SLI running at 602mhz. You can overclock the slower card to match your overclocked card to run at full speed.

Using different models of Nvidia cards to run SLI is false. For SLI to work correctly, you must have two same model cards. Brands do not matter and clock speeds do not matter as long as they are the same model.

Example: GTX280+GTX280=SLI or 8800GTX+8800GTX=SLI

Hope this clears things up.

JPM.
October 1, 2008 2:11:16 PM

Thanks very much, most complete answer I've had all day!
Related resources
October 1, 2008 2:38:25 PM

Thats the most extreme system. Why do you need all that horse power ?
October 1, 2008 2:48:57 PM

Maybe he's got a 27"+ monitor and wants to get the same FPS as what he used to on his 19"? The answer should be obvious: MOAR EFF PEE ESS!!!

Why do we need any cars with more than 200HP when we a very limited in speed? Why do we need massive houses when you can't even fill it complately or need to pay maids to keep it clean? Why do we eat so damn much junk?

If Bill Gates was a hardcore gamer, so you think he'd have a puny single card solution? lol

Why Why Why? 'cause we can and we like it.

Just messing around :D 
October 1, 2008 3:04:59 PM

lol

The main reason is my quest for Crysis perfection. I won't be completely satisfied (for now) until I have Crysis (Warhead) running on enthusiast mode with 16XQ at ludicrously high fps on muh 30" monitor. Funny thing is I play WoW more than Crysis, go figure lol!

...And it would be nice to post 3DMark06 Benches past 20K.

...And, as Dechy said, just because. lol

Thanks guys, posts were entertaining :-)
October 1, 2008 3:05:09 PM

lol

The main reason is my quest for Crysis perfection. I won't be completely satisfied (for now) until I have Crysis (Warhead) running on enthusiast mode with 16XQ at ludicrously high fps on muh 30" monitor. Funny thing is I play WoW more than Crysis, go figure lol!

...And it would be nice to post 3DMark06 Benches past 20K.

...And, as Dechy said, just because. lol

Thanks guys, posts were entertaining :-)
October 1, 2008 3:48:49 PM

What cpu are you pairing with those cards?

You almost need a cpu at over 4 ghz to get over 20k, or you stall your cards headroom.
October 1, 2008 3:53:49 PM

QX9550 @ as close to 4GHz as I can get. Along with the third video card, I'm simultaneously searching for a cooling method for northbridge and cpu. Aquagate seem to have a pretty decent kit that'll bolt straight on to the fusion block on muh Striker II NSE, as well as provide a seperate block for the CPU. Any suggestions on cooling?

April 22, 2009 10:16:06 PM

Jpmeaney said:
Hi Taskforcetiny.

You can use different brands of Nvidia cards for SLI provided that they are the same model.

Example: EVGA GTX 280, XFX GTX 280=SLI

You can use different clocked versions of Nvidia cards for SLI as long as they are the same model. Bear in mind that with this setup, SLI will default to the slowest GPU clock frequency in your setup.

Example: EVGA GTX 280 FTW edition (clocked 670mhz), XFX GTX 280 (Clocked 602mhz)=SLI running at 602mhz. You can overclock the slower card to match your overclocked card to run at full speed.

Using different models of Nvidia cards to run SLI is false. For SLI to work correctly, you must have two same model cards. Brands do not matter and clock speeds do not matter as long as they are the same model.

Example: GTX280+GTX280=SLI or 8800GTX+8800GTX=SLI

Hope this clears things up.

JPM.

But what about the bios? what if you want to sli two 280s with different bios. For example gtx280 xxx with evga gtx 280 ssc?
!