Im looking to build a desktop PC which is small enough to fit in my luggage for when i travel abroad. Can anyone recommend a good form factor case and a motherboard to go with it. Im going to probably wait for the 4870x2 release so a single pcix16 slot is fine.
More about :recommend good form factor case motherboard
I think you will have a problem on several fronts.
1) What will be your maximum dimensions to be able to fit in your luggage?
2) I assume that a monitor and keyboard are not part of the issue?
3) If you need such a powerful vga card as the 4870X2, then it will be longer, need a stronger PSU, and require good cooling. These three things will increase the size of the case.
4) There are many micro-ATX boards which will work, so there should be no problems there.
5) I would look for a 45nm cpu to reduce cooling problems. A E8400 should be all you need for gaming.
You may want to do a google search for "fast gaming laptop"
I recently built a system using this case and it's outstanding. It is a little larger than 1'x1'x.5' so it's very small (only fits micro ATX) and inexpensive but well built and has a lot of nice features. You could use a motherboard like this and have a very nice, very portable system. Either that or just spend the money on a gaming laptop. http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/xpslt_...