Sign in with
Your question

Can anyone recommend a good form factor case / a motherboard that can

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2008 2:00:37 PM

Im looking to build a desktop PC which is small enough to fit in my luggage for when i travel abroad. Can anyone recommend a good form factor case and a motherboard to go with it. Im going to probably wait for the 4870x2 release so a single pcix16 slot is fine.

Thanks
July 9, 2008 2:07:16 PM

Also a custom CPU cooler that can fit in the case
July 9, 2008 2:46:00 PM

An ultramobile PC is no good. I want the functionality of a desktop with a q6600 processor, radeon 4870 x2, 4 gigs of ram. Etc. I play games so
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a c 253 V Motherboard
July 9, 2008 4:59:36 PM

I think you will have a problem on several fronts.
1) What will be your maximum dimensions to be able to fit in your luggage?
2) I assume that a monitor and keyboard are not part of the issue?
3) If you need such a powerful vga card as the 4870X2, then it will be longer, need a stronger PSU, and require good cooling. These three things will increase the size of the case.
4) There are many micro-ATX boards which will work, so there should be no problems there.
5) I would look for a 45nm cpu to reduce cooling problems. A E8400 should be all you need for gaming.

You may want to do a google search for "fast gaming laptop"
July 9, 2008 5:14:20 PM

fugben said:
An ultramobile PC is no good. I want the functionality of a desktop with a q6600 processor, radeon 4870 x2, 4 gigs of ram. Etc. I play games so

and you wanna fit that in a suitcase?? are you feeling ok?
July 9, 2008 5:44:22 PM

I recently built a system using this case and it's outstanding. It is a little larger than 1'x1'x.5' so it's very small (only fits micro ATX) and inexpensive but well built and has a lot of nice features. You could use a motherboard like this and have a very nice, very portable system. Either that or just spend the money on a gaming laptop.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/xpslt_...
!