CPU for low level home/office use

mj585

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Hello

I'm planning to build a (cheap lol) new PC for my dad. His current PC is almost 7 years old now :ouch:

The computer will mainly be doing this...
- Running Windows XP
- Surfing the net, MSN/Paltalk/Skype for chat/video-chat/voice-chat.
- MS Word
- Outlook
- Few small games like "solsuite" (solitaire/card games) ... no 3D games.
- Virus/spyware scans overnight

I also use that computer as a file server, and hosting a tiny forum (20-30 members), nothing major.

I'm looking at an AMD build (I'm not too familiar with what Intel has in the low-end level :( ... although any advice regarding an Intel setup is appreciated) .. and I'm just wondering what's the best* CPU to get from the list below:

* by 'best' I mean a CPU that'll do the tasks above smoothly.

- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ - 2.0GHZ 2000FSB 512KB L2 Cache ~$40

- AMD Sempron LE-1100 - 1.90GHz, 256KB Cache, 800MHz FSB ~$42

- AMD Sempron LE-1150 - 2.0GHz, 256KB Cache, 800MHz FSB ~$45

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (65W) - 2.4GHz Dual Core, 2x512KB L2 Cache ~$63

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (65W) - 2.5GHz Dual Core, 2x512KB L2 Cache ~$65

(These are all CAD, not USD btw)

I want something that will last for a while, so should I go with one of the dual-cores? ... or will it be an overkill even down the road for this sort of low-level usage?

As for the rest of the PC...

Motherboard: MSI K9N6SGM-V ~$50 --cheapest one I could find lol

RAM: One 1GB stick KVR800D2N6/1G ~$25 (or probably a DDR667 one for around $20)

I'll be using the same DVD-ROM and IDE hdd from the old computer (maybe buy a small SATA hdd later), and I also got a spare 450 or 500W 24pin PSU which should work just fine.

So I'm just trying to pick a CPU now *thinks* ... any advice?

Also feel free to suggest any Intel cpu+mobo's, it's just that I've looked around and for around $100, it seemed that I can get more from an AMD.

Thanks for reading this :)

Get a dual-core CPU. Background tasks that make the foreground stutter are really irritating, whether or not there's any gaming involved. As cheap as it is, consider 2GB of RAM. You're running enough tasks on it that more RAM will make a visible difference.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I would consider spending some money on a SATA drive instead of using the ide drive as your main drive. They aren't too expensive anymore for about 250gb or less (which is what you'd need) either a 250 or 160gb hd would work just fine. I bought a 160gb hd a year or so ago for about$50. I"m sure now you can get one cheaper (us dollars).

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Do you already have an OS you can install on the PC?

Because if you don't there is not really any reason to be building such a low-end machine.

You are much better off with a Dell or Something for very litte money.
Especially if you want a nice LCP monitor to go along with it.

mj585

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Thank you guys for the quick responses :)

I thought I'd leave off some of the details in my first post so it doesn't become too long, but here's a bit more...

RAM:

I'm not so sure I'd need a 2GB RAM for now considering my own PC which I use for much more stuff (including gaming) --and Vista-- only had 1GB and it was running smoothly enough. 2gig made it faster, but not by a huge amount.

Still, the mobo I'm planning to get only has 2 slots, so I'm planning on getting 1 stick of 1gb RAM, then maybe get another one in the future.

SATA HDD:

Yeah I'm planning to get one too. However I have my own PC with two SATA drives (160gb + 250gb), and I'm also planning to build another computer which will be in the mid-range level (later though, still saving up the money lol) ... so my plan is to get a bigger hdd for that one (say 320 or 500), and move the 160gb to this one ... so I'll have 3 pc's: 160, 250, and 320/500.

IDE will do for now even though it'll surely slow the system down... but then I'll give it one of my SATA ones.

OS / Buying complete PC:

Yeah I do have an OS. That's if the current installation of windows doesn't like the big change in hardware ('cause I'll be using the same IDE that has Windows installed on it now).

I looked at the prebuilt/complete PC's from Dell and shops like Best Buy and what not, and while they are some good ones for fair prices, I'll just be paying for things I (well, my dad) don't really need. The cheapest ones I could find were around $350 CAD.

So I figured I'll use the spare parts I have and just buy CPU+Mobo+RAM, and I'd be spending about half the money to have a PC that will do the job.

Unless the US get much better deals than we do? :(

Current PC:

In case you're wondering, here's what I'm "upgrading" from. All tasks above run and my dad thinks they run just fine :sarcastic: ... I don't :non: :lol:

AMD Athlon 1400 (1.4GHz) cpu

Iwill KK266 Plus motherboard

448MB SDRAM (PC-100)

Geforce2 MX 400 (64MB) AGP 4x video card (I think it's 8x, not sure, but the mobo only supports 4x)

So I guess any setup that will give a big boost in performance compared to the current PC will be good enough to last for a while.

Thanks for the replies again :)