Sign in with
Your question

What is the best way to partition?

Tags:
  • Partition
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2009 6:26:58 PM

at this computer stuff. I partitioned 10g/b for my OS and the rest as one big partition for files etc. My thinking was that the OS just sits there and I set everything (pics, music, games, browser downloads etc...) to write to the the big drive. Apparently windows still downloads stuff to the C drive as default as I am getting a low disc space warning and errors. Luckily I am getting 7 (and knew I was going to) and can start over.

1. Should I even partition or is this kind of disc management beyond my skill/effort.
2. What kind of partitioning do most people recommend.
3. Is software better now to make partitioning less useful/needed? Or maybe more needed?

I am constantly impressed with the level of knowledge and help from you all here at Toms and thank you in advance for any help.

More about : partition

a b G Storage
November 13, 2009 6:37:28 PM

personally I wouldn't bother i just don't think it's work it, but if you would like to it anyway as many do then 75gig should be sufficient for your os/program partition
a b G Storage
November 13, 2009 7:14:18 PM

75GB seems high to me, but 10GB is way to little (especially with Windows).

I like to keep my data on a different drive, just in case I need to restore the image of my OS. That's just me - I know others don't find this to be much of a problem.

I'd say a good 30GB - 50GB would be plenty (remember the OS takes some, but so do programs and updates you install).
Related resources
November 13, 2009 7:14:30 PM

I think partitioning is a good thing. With large drives common now, 500 or more, I would give your self a 75-100 G C: drive and the rest as a second drive. Put your OS and any programs you want on the C: drive. Before you start surfing the net make a backup image using Ghost. That way if in the future something happends to your C: drive you can restore you C: drive with your clean image. Saving a lot of time. For this to really work, change your My Docs and your email to the second partition. That way when you restore you still have all your data. SAVE ALL YOUR DATA TO THE SECOND HARDDRIVE. Nothing is worse then loosing your data. This might take some time to get use to, but it is a good thing.

When you change to Win 7, you can make all the partition you need. But there is software out there that will change partition sizes after you have your OS installed. I've used Partion magic in the past, and it worked well for me.

An answer to your second question. Use NTFS. Stay away for FAT or FAT32

Hoped this helped
a c 127 G Storage
November 13, 2009 7:20:31 PM

Separating your data into system/application data and personal data seems good practise. So to make things simple:

C: system drive containing Windows + Program Files (installed applications) ~50GB
D: data drive containing personal data (downloaded stuff, movies, photos, etc)

This would also allow you to wipe the C drive and re-install, leaving D intact with your files on it. Also i second fredima's advise to stay away from FAT and only use NTFS for Windows.
!