Sign in with
Your question

radeon 4850 artifact problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2008 3:32:40 AM

I just bought a new Visiontek Radeon 4850. Everything works fine except that I get a significant amount of screwed up geometry in all games and other artifacting. I'm thinking it might be from the heat because it runs quite hot (82C last time I checked). I already update my motherboard and bios.

Specs are as follows

Intel Core2 Cpu 4400
Asrock 4coredual-sata2
2.00 g of ddr2 ram
audigy sound card

I don't know if the card is defective, incompatible with my computer or something else. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2008 4:03:45 AM

its probably a defective card because if its at stock it shouldn't be artifacting... and the 4850s can and do get that hot
July 28, 2008 4:06:59 AM

What PSU are you using?
Related resources
July 28, 2008 4:19:54 AM

a brand new 500 watt antec PSU, model EA-500
July 28, 2008 4:32:34 AM

Not sure if there is a huge problem with VisionTek HD4850 cards but my first HD4850 was a VisionTek and it was dead out of the box.

Sent it back and now have had good luck with PowerColor Hd4850 so far. (a little over a week).

a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2008 4:34:43 AM

Couls also be a driver issue (ATI starts with some terrible/buggy drivers) or as feared it could be due to overheating (causing a "Partial crash"). But if new drivers don't fix the issue, then it probably is a defective card.
July 28, 2008 5:19:00 AM

im not sure, try to run atitool and scan for artifics. the heat shouldnt be a problem. coz it meant to handle it.
July 28, 2008 5:53:22 AM

High Temperature is definitely a problem. 1 of my HD4870 was failed after I worked in Linux a long while without Catalyst support (so I cannot increase the fan speed to higher speed).

Did you speed up the VGA card cooling fan speed? There was a post to teach for modify Catalyst Overdrive Profile for higher Fan speed of stock HD4850 VGA cooling fan to avoid high temperature.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2008 6:11:16 AM

The 48XX series should have excellent thermal properties and be able to handle temps of 85C

This is the reason why:
The 38XX series was fabricated on what was known as A11 Silicone.

The 48XX uses the new and improved A12 Silicone which has a dramatically higher heat tolerance.

If a 38XX series card ran at 85C it would probably burn it up.

ATI clocked the RV770 cards hot because they knew the new A12 Silicone could handle it.

If your card is artifacting out of the box just call Visiontek. They have a lifetime warranty on their cards and should be able to replace it with out a problem. Sounds to me like you just got a defective chip.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2008 6:21:49 AM

Make sure you are using the 8.7 (not the hotfix) drivers and set your fan speed to 40% or higher. Here is one of many posts describing how this is done. As easy as creating a CCC Profile and changing 2 fields with notepad. Fan speed from Auto to Manual and Want from whatever it is to what ever you want it to be. Save the .xls file and reload the profile from CCC. Use GPU-Z to make sure the fan speed has been changed and your temps have been lowered.

Is your card overclocked? I run into the same corrupted geometry issue when I try and overclock my RAM to far. If the above dose not work, try lowering the RAM speeds in the CCC and see if your problem goes away. If it dose, it will be time to RMA.
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2008 7:46:51 AM

If it's artifacting it could be the drivers, but unlikely, and don't bother with changing the heatsink fan, if it's artifacting on the stock cooler then send it back.

Defective cards happen, but you shouldn't have to add aftermarket cooling regardless of the chips ability to handle higher temps.
July 28, 2008 5:42:02 PM

I got a different visiontek radeon hd 4850 and it does the exact same thing. I tried the drivers without the hotfix and atitool doesn't work with this card.
July 28, 2008 5:44:41 PM

heats problem. really common problem in 4800 series
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2008 6:21:43 PM

esotmonk said:
I got a different visiontek radeon hd 4850 and it does the exact same thing. I tried the drivers without the hotfix and atitool doesn't work with this card.

That's disburbing. I thought Visiontek was a good brand.

I would buy elsewhere. HIS, MSI, Sapphire

Get something like this:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

That ought to keep it cool.

Look for more Non-Reference coolers like this to be coming out this week and next
July 28, 2008 11:25:38 PM

Do what outlw666 said. Increase your fan speed (try 50% at first) and see if that works, though you may just want to RMA it and get a new one.
July 29, 2008 12:07:13 AM

Ill parrot what the others have said. The 4800 series shouldn't have any problems with artifacts at stock speeds and under 90 C. Id send the card back. If you do not feel like dealing with the hassle, then change the fan profile, reapply the thermal paste, or try putting an extra 120 mm fan in your case to exhaust extra heat.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2008 5:38:48 PM

Check your overall case temp.... The 4850 don't force the air out. The 4870 card force the hot air out.

Your case should have a good exhaust fan....

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2008 9:07:33 PM

Look for the HIS Ice-Q Turbo HD4850 to come out in the next week or two. It has a dual slot cooling solution and exhausts the hot air out of the case.

Below is a picture of the HD3850 version. Rumor has it that HIS is considering redoing the design of the Ice-Q cooler for the 48XX series. It will be interesting to see what they release.

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2008 8:30:41 AM

Cool. Breaking news this morning. Here are photos of the HIS HD4850 IceQ4 Radeon card. It looks awesome!

http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_25172353/tm.htm

You will probably see this card on Newegg this week or next.
July 30, 2008 9:00:33 AM

lol mate i got the answer....i got that board too :p  the pci express slot is pci e 4x (electrically, its x16 physical i think) and also only version 1.0

the 4850 requires x16 electrical and pci express 2.0 i believe...
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2008 10:03:41 AM

Good eyes on the PCIe 1.0a.
A 4850 will have no problems running in a PCIe 4x 1.1 or 2.0 slot but PCIe 1.0a is not fully compatible with 1.1 and 2.0.

Quote:
PCIe 2.0 is backward and forward compatible with PCIe v1.x. Graphic cards and motherboards designed for v2.0 will be able to work with v1.1 and v1.0, and vice versa. In some rare cases it is possible that a PCI-E 2.0 card will not work correctly on a PCI-E 1.0a slot. This is only limited to certain video cards.

From the PCIe Wiki Page.

I am not sure if this would mean that it should not work at all or if it has to possibility to work incorrectly when and incompatiable GPU is inserted into a PCIe 1.0a slot.

A down and dirty test you could perform is to beg/borrow/steal a friends system with a newer PCIe 1.1 or 2.0 motherboard. Provided their system has enough power, if your 4850 tests fine in their system, I would start looking for a new motherboard.

Perhaps TGGA will have better incite to what issues may occur with a newer GPU in a PCIe 1.0a slot.
Unfortunately, I have never seen this tested and am unable to spend to much time googling it at work :( 
July 30, 2008 10:41:18 AM

well the main selling point of that board was that it had AGP and pci express (at the time not too many pci express cards lol) so that it could use your current AGP card and in the future use pci express... what they didnt say and you had to read the manual to find it out was that the slot was pci express 4x, which is half the bandwidth of agp LOL! anywho, they might not have had good communication between the pci bus and the NB or drivers or something... -.-
August 5, 2008 3:05:10 AM

It could be your PSU, MB or RAM.
August 11, 2008 5:46:26 PM

I have the same exact problem. I actually have an ASRock mobo too (ASRock 775 Dual-880 Pro, up-to-date drivers), upgrading to ASUS EAH4850 from 8600GT, and it artifacts during 3D gaming. I also have a new 530W PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).

With SystemDoctor I set the fan speed to about 50%, which brings the temp down to about 50C idle and 70C load. It still artifacts.

I wonder if it'ASRock mobo is just not compatible with the 4850. Notice that on both our mobo CPU support list the 4850 isn't listed (http://www.asrock.com/mb/vga.asp?Model=4CoreDual-SATA2%...).
August 12, 2008 10:57:33 AM

I'm intending to buy a 4850 as well, and I realised my mobo also only has a PCIe x16 V1.0a.

I'm just sort of hoping the "rare cases" mentioned on the wiki is not in the 4850's case. How can I find out?

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&th...

Some dude here says that the 4850 will definitely be compatible. I've been searching online for a compatibility list but to no avail. Seems like there are quite a number of compatibility problems with the 4850 when I go into the AMD forums.

Will the 4850 bottleneck with a PCIe V1.0a, by the way?
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2008 9:51:44 PM

No. No card out there currently maxes out a PCI Express x 16 port. You will have ample bandwidth.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2009 5:35:54 AM

Just got a Visiontek 4870 and am having this very same problem with an AsRock 775Dual-VSTA mobo. It is definitely not a heat issue, so it must be incompatible with the PCI-e 4x slot.

Replacing my motherboard is now a priority, but it is a more involved, and more expensive upgrade path, as I will need new RAM and some other hardware as well. I was hoping for a quicker, easier upgrade with the video card route.

My BFG 8800 GT OC is a 2.0 card that currently works fine in my PCI-e slot, but it's obviously not utilizing the same bandwidth as the Radeon. I'm up in the air about trying a different 4870 card, or trying a Geforce 260, as I'm not sure whether or not to expect this same problem.
January 18, 2009 9:17:13 AM

A word of advice. Check by replacing the ram sticks. The artifacts are attributed to their malfunctioning too.
January 22, 2009 3:08:10 PM

Ok I have real solution for all who have ASRock motherboard.

My friend have ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 motherboard and just couple days ago bought new ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/1G and had exactly the same problems as were described here.
We were trying together all the solutions, described on any forum which we found and our own ideas and finally after 2 days we solved the problem and solution is very simple.
Here is a list what we did:
- changing drivers for graphic card (new, old, form original CD) - not solving a problem
- changing drivers for motherboard (VIA 4in1) - not solving a problem
- switching ram (from dual to single, someone had such idea) - not solving a problem
- we switch even PSU, my friend had X-Power 450W PSU and he bought new BFG 800W and problem was still not solved. However, he had lot of VPU Recovery alerts/errors and change of PSU solved this problem so if you have VPU Recovery problems, my advise is to buy new and good PSU from A good brand, not none name crap
- re-installation of windows (XP Pro) - not solving a problem
- and many more which I don't even remember were also not solving a problem

We wanted to give up and give graphic card on warranty but we use our last idea and it helped!!!
We simply updated motherboard BIOS to latest version 2.10. Update is very easy, you need to just follow steps which are described on ASRock web page and you can all this do from Windows.
After this and also reinstalling drivers to the newest Catalyst 8.12 (probably on older it would be working fine too) problem was solved. Graphic was working fine, no more artifacts or any geometry problems.

Additionally if you will go to VGA Support List on ASRock web page you will notice this:
Vendor/---/Chipset/---/Model/---/BIOS/---/Driver
ATI/---/Radeon HD4850/---/GECUBE HD4850/512M/GDDR3/---/P2.10/---/Catalyst 8.12

GECUBE is mentioned, however it is 4850.

So I hope guys that it will help you too and don't believe in such crap like, graphic card is overheating if it have temp. 50C. This graphic cards can easily work with temperatures more than 90C!!!
Btw BIOS is the same for 4CoreDual-SATA2 as for 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0.

Please let know if you tried this solution and it helped you.
Cheers.
March 11, 2009 8:40:03 AM

Hello all.
At least it seems I am not the only one experiencing such problems.
My configuration was:
AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA
E6300
2gb ram
Sapphire X1950Pro

Everything worked perfect for 2 years, than I decided to change the video card only. I bought the Sapphire hd 4830 dual slot and all games were full of artifacts:

I tried everything, I updated everything, but no changes.
So I thought the video card was defected and I bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 dual slot.
I experienced the same identical problems.
I update the BIOS (from windows) to 2.3 (last official release from AsRock) but nothing changed.
Then I found this:
http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=75466
that made me hoping.

I tried the procedure: I created a bootable CD with the asrflash utility from ASROCK and the beta bios.
I launched the bootable cd and then I treid to update the bios via DOS as described in asrock website.
It didn't work, the update utility didn't work and the bios was not touched. So I thoght that maybe the beta bios was corrupted and I tried the same procedure with the official 2.30 from Asrock via DOS but the result was the same!

How do I updtae my bios via DOS? Do I miss something?
March 25, 2009 7:22:43 PM

Hi,

my setup:
AsRock 4coredual-vsta
core2duo
radeon HD 4850 (Sapphire)

Upon changing from GF8800GTS (which broke) I had the same artifacts, especially bad in WoW.
After some testing I found this thread and downloaded the newest bios, which didnt work. Then I randomly tested BIOS PCI-E settings.

!!
Setting delayed PCIE transmission to disabled and also disabling the other setting next to it, worked.
!!

Hope this helps someone struggling with the same problem, I wasted so much time :/ 
March 25, 2009 8:23:54 PM

download from the site I posted the BIOS beta 2.33 or write to ASROCK support and they'll send you the 2.35 BETA BIOS.
March 25, 2009 11:34:37 PM

Well if you can just change one setting (PCIE transmission) under chipset and it seems to work fine, I'm not gonna try a beta bios :p  performance is at least better than my geforce 8800 GTS, so it cant hit performance that badly.
November 20, 2009 7:42:50 PM

Hi,
I've found this thread because I'd like to plug-in Radeon 4670 card into my motherboard (Asus P4V800D-X ) based on Via PT880 Ultra chipset, which I think yours Asrock have, too. My mobo has PCI-E 1.0A 16x working as 4x and AGP 8x, too. Now I'm using both Radeon 9600 on AGP with Radeon X300 on PCI-E without problems.
I'd like to know if anyone with simmilar mobo based on this chipset is using Radeon HD46xx without problems? HD46xx doesn't have separate power connector and take a lot less power than HD48xx. I'm thinking about HD4670 because I've got only 400W PSU (which should be OK for it - some people say that they use it on 350W PSU).

I've read somewhere that newer Radeon cards (HD4xxx) have better tolerance for old PCI-E 1.0A than older PCI-E 2.0 Radeons. Is it true?
February 17, 2010 10:28:53 AM

Hi,
I got same problems with 775Dual-880Pro with a HD4350 chipset Saphire card.
PSU is not the problem, and I cannot find the solution, even if I upgrade the mobo with the latest (2 years old) bios 1.7 which is more compatible with ATI HD2xxx.
But no success with HD4xxx.

I leave the ATI world, and his buggs world to join the Nvidia world with an old 6200E (18€00 by ASUS).
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2010 9:42:10 PM

Hey I have the same exact motherboard, and since the 3000 series ati cards have given me problems with this mobo. In general it' the mobo chipset from via, it cause weird glitches like that. Maybe it has something to do with the pci express spec, and it being a 4x not a 16 x slot. It's not power, it's not the video card(usually) it's the mobo, time to upgrade my friend. I've spent alot of time on this, and that is the only solution left, I tried all bios, power supply, video cards, fans, everything, it is just time for this mobo to be laid to rest, it can barely handle the newer cards.

The only solution I found is to use the agp card slot such as a 4670 agp version which runs almost as fast as the 4850 in lower resolutions from 1280x1024 and down. Trust me on this either get an agp version or give up. I finally did. Thanks friend and good luck to you.
!