4850 bsod on startup.

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
I never had this problem with my 8600gt so I'm positive it's the 4850. It'll load fine up to where the windows bar loads at bottom then it'll just stay on bsod. I hit restart at this point and it'll say do I want to use safe mode etc I had an unexpected shutdown but it all starts up fine. This happens every single time for a fresh boot and it'll always work second time after restart. Any ideas?

Specs:
e8400
ga ep35-ds3r
corsair hx520
windows vista 64bit ultimate

Thanks guys.

lasttarget

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
This audio driver made the 4850 use 30% of my e8400 on my abit mobo so maybe its the source of your problem too. try disabling it

Go to device manager
Expand system devices
Disable the top High Definition Audio Controller

This is the audio driver for the audio output from HDMI on the 4850. This fix will not stop you from using the on board sound or an add in sound card.
If you have 2 4850s crossfired you will have to disable both Audio drivers.

perhaps reset the cmos and allow all the settings to restore etc for one and see what effect that has, and two - download nad run driver cleaner and remove the old nvidia drivers and current ATi drivers and download and install a fresh new set and see what effect that has

also perhaps update your motherboard bios

tacohead

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Wow I feel like a real dickhead. I browsed some other forums and found a guy with a similar problem and he hadn't plugged the card right in, sure enough I replug the card and all is working now :D Thanks for the help regardless guys.