Belkin router & file sharing

ruthless_ruth80

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2004
I have a Belkin router which has two computers connected to it. I am using a cable modem. The two computers can connect to the internet but they do not see each other. I cannot share files or use the printer that is connected to the other computer. How can I make the computers see each other? I tried everything in Win Xp but nothing happened. What do I have to do so that I can connect to the other computer? I really need help on this one and I appreciate answers.Thanks.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what about explicitly mapping something?

On one PC, share a folder. Then on the other one, at a DOS prompt type:

net use * \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\share_name

Does that work?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

ruthless_ruth80

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2004
I tried the command but it says "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found" By the way, I have not made any changes on router's setup that is on the net. I just installed the software on each computer and they connected to the net.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
try theses commands:
nbtstat -A Ipaddress
nbtstat -a SRVname
net view \\SRVname

and tell me which one worked fine

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

ruthless_ruth80

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2004
nbtstat -A Ipaddress worked and gave the computer name and workgroup as registered. I tried to create a workgroup in two computers with same name but still no luck. They have the same workgroup name but they do not see eachother.

ruthless_ruth80

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2004
I included my IP adress in nbtstat -a IPadress and it worked as I mentioned but when I wrote it exactly as you said, all of the commands gave error messages "Host not found" and "Network path was not found".

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I meant for you to substitute your IP address and host name, not to type IDaddress explicitly.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>

ruthless_ruth80

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2004
I know I am being a real pain but how will I substitute my IP adress and host name? If you know any website that explains home networking with routers from the start, it would be very helpful. I do not want to take your time. Thanks for the help so far.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
maybe you should try re-install TCP/IP - check <A HREF="http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_on_windows_xp.htm" target="_new">this link</A> for info on how to do it.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>