HDTV FCC mandate?

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 27, 2005 3:01:53 AM

I thought that the FCC had mandated that all US TV broadcasting would be high
definition. Why does there seem to be so much foot dragging by the industry. I
know that this cost money, but it's not like the networks aren't making a ton of
it. I can record an hour TV show and play it back, skipping the commercials, in
about 40 minutes. Seems like they are getting plenty of advertising dollars.
Why don't they just bite the bullet and make the switch?

More about : hdtv fcc mandate

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:01:54 AM

In article <r1vgj1libvdk54rcv943kdod4rpk7c2dah@4ax.com>,
Tommy Flynn <noreply@nodomain.com> wrote:

> I thought that the FCC had mandated that all US TV broadcasting would
> be high definition.

Nope; the mandate is for digital, not for HD. Although HD has to be
digital, digital doesn't have to be HD.

September 27, 2005 3:36:40 AM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:01:53 GMT, Tommy Flynn <noreply@nodomain.com>
wrote:

>I thought that the FCC had mandated that all US TV broadcasting would be high
>definition. Why does there seem to be so much foot dragging by the industry. I
>know that this cost money, but it's not like the networks aren't making a ton of
>it. I can record an hour TV show and play it back, skipping the commercials, in
>about 40 minutes. Seems like they are getting plenty of advertising dollars.
>Why don't they just bite the bullet and make the switch?

The "mandate" is for digital broadcasting, not High Definition.

Some broadcasters will prefer to transmit multiple subchannels
as opposed to a High Definition channel.
!