How di I re=format a NTFS partition into a FAT partition

I want to reformat an external HDD partition of 400GB from NTFS into FAT32 in one partition. What do I do and what do I need.
5 answers Last reply
More about format ntfs partition partition
  1. i did this a while ago and it worked fine. you can do it with windows but you need to get an exe that you need to run in a shell. i can't remember the name of it but a few min of google search and i found what i needed.
  2. Provided you do not want to keep your data, a live CD such as Parted Magic will work, or use a partitioning program.
    I delete all partitions then create new ones formated as I want.
    JB
  3. 400 g into one FAT 32 ,,no way,,the size limit for fat32 with windoze is about 30-32g,,furthermore you can reformat the whole drive from windoze into fat 32 partitions,after deleting the ntfs,,,create the extended partition first and then about 10 or more ,, 30-32g logical drives..:)
  4. dokk2 said:
    400 g into one FAT 32 ,,no way,,the size limit for fat32 with windoze is about 30-32g,,furthermore you can reformat the whole drive from windoze into fat 32 partitions,after deleting the ntfs,,,create the extended partition first and then about 10 or more ,, 30-32g logical drives..:)

Can you say: "Wrong"?

The max size for FAT is 2GB. For FAT32 the limit is 2TB. The only limiting factor is that single files cannot be larger than 4GB each.
  5. You can convert the file system and keep all the data intact with the "convert" command: convert c: /fs:ntfs
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NTFS External Hard Drive Partition Format Storage