Wierd monitor Problem..Turns on stays black

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi

ok iv just got back from a 1 month holiday, i switch my pc etc on its perfect, then i switch the monitor on.... the green light goes on, then a wierd sound comes out of the speakers in the monitor and it goes red, this goes on constantly.

after about an hour it just stays red, standby as it should, so i turn the pc on again and the green light now comes on but the screen just stays black.

The screen was working perfectly pre holiday.

iv tried the monitor with a laptop and different gfx card but no change.

does anyone know if this could be solved or how this can happen :S

so the final situation iz the monitor light goes green which means its getting a signal but notting appears on the screen it just stays black! !

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
See if you can barrow another monitor to test you current system, or test your monitor on another working PC, even though you tried on the laptop.

It just seems to sound like the monitor is having problems, assuming the PC boots properly.

Also, sniff around to see if you can pic up on an electrical burnt smell around the monitor. I've remember monitors going out, and having a certain smell to them, like a burnt out PSU. Sometimes it can be associated to the amount of dust that can accumulate in them.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If the monitor doesn't work with laptop and different gfx card on your system, sounds like the monitor is broke! If it's a CRT monitor it will not be economic to repair, unless it's 21" or more. What sort of sound? "Weired" is not very helpful. CRT monitors develop age problems with the HV circuits and arc to ground with a 'crack' sound. What monitor is it?

Mike.