My attempt at a build...

HateDread

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Hey, second topic ever. Here goes..

I'm looking to upgrade my E6550 CPU + 8600GT setup, to an E8400 cpu, and a HD 4850 ATI Card. My plans include OC'ing the E8400 >4Ghz. This is my build for doing that:

-GA-P35-DS3L (Best mobo I can afford >.<)
-E8400 CPU
-HD 4850
-2Gb Corsair 800Mhz RAM
-Zalman 9700

Would that cooler suffice to keep that CPU under control >4Ghz? Also, I hear the HD 4850 heats up a lot. I guess it's a non-issue, as my friend who owns a comp store gives me system fans out of some box out the back. How many would I need? I already got one intake at the front, low, and one exhaust up high at the back.

Will this ram/mobo combination allow that E8400 to get >4Ghz? I'm really hoping to get there!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
HateDread

EDIT: The PSU I'm looking at is 500W, btw. Is it enough?

HateDread

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Oh btw, it's for gaming. Does hosting also fall under this category? I'm guessing a 4Ghz C2D is enough to host games such as Supreme Commander?

The Hegemon

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Supreme Commander is multithreaded, so a quad core will definitely help out with the hosting. However, you should be fine with a 4.0Ghz E8400, especially if you plan to host other games that aren't so multithreaded.

The 9700 will be more than enough to achieve your overclocking goal. I've heard reports of people doing 3.8 Ghz with the stock cooler. Uncomfortable temps though with stock.

I'd recommend putting one more fan in the back and a side mounted fan if can manage to mod it into your case (for the HD4850). It's not that big of a deal and you should be fine with just an additional fan in the back.

Excellent Mobo, though you might want to consider investing in some higher clocked memory. Apart from that, looks like you're well on your way to hitting that 4Ghz mark! Good luck!

HateDread

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I love you! (Kidding!)

Any particular ram? I was looking at this:

http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.asp?kw=4-4-4-12+DDR2+800MHZ&position=search

I hope that 4-4-4-12 is what I need. That's what the other topics said. Can you please explain what it even means, when it comes to OC'ing? Why would the 'timings' matter to me?

Also, my current mobo, the GA-P31-DS3, would be too crappy, right? I'm pretty sure the E8400 isn't even supported, oh well.

The case has spots for that side fan, not sure about the back. I will check.

Any ideas on waht sort of 500W PSU I should be going for? Anything here?:

http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.asp?orderby=p&p1=&p2=&kw=500W+PSU&position=search

Am I able to step the fan down a notch? This build is only a little over my budget.

Thanks in advance.

Your servant,
HateDread

HateDread

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Yeah I know, bumping is bad..

Just couldn't help myself, because I need your help! Please help out a noob with the previous questions..

Thanks

HateDread

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I know it sounds like I'm getting 'cold feet', but is the E8400 really able to reach 4Ghz? And, is this more viable than a quad 6600 at say, 3.4 Ghz? Both for gaming, and the occasional hosting (I don't know).

I plan to upgrade at the end of every year, so I can just get a York at the end of next year, or something else. OR should I just dive in and get a quad, so not get a 4Ghz C2D? I'm starting to doubt that O/C'ing it to 4Ghz is that great of an idea. I need to rebuy my 2gb of ram, at 800 Mhz. I need a new PSU, and new mobo to support it. Is this all worth it, or should I just get a quad, and not O/C it as high?

Thanks!