Your question

Windows delayed write failed

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External USB
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2009 6:49:54 AM

my PC shows "windows delayed write failed" error for external USB hard disk while copying data.

More about : windows delayed write failed

a c 127 G Storage
November 14, 2009 10:08:25 AM

That is a serious warning, and you should pay attention to it. You can lose data because of this, or even get a corrupted filesystem.

You did not state what kind of external USB harddisk you are using, does it have its own power supply? If it does, replace the USB cable used to connect it to the PC.

If its a 2,5" notebook external drive, it may have two USB connectors; one for power one for data. Be sure to insert these in separate USB channel ports, a channel is a pair of two ports.

If you are connecting the external drive to a hub first, try connecting it directly to the USB ports on the back of your motherboard.
November 16, 2009 3:41:03 PM

i'm having the same problem here but what makes we wonder is that it only happens to my desktop. when i tried transferring large files from my internal HDD(seagate 500GB) to my external HDDs(WD 120GB and Seagate FreeAgent 1TB) the delayed write failed happens. My desktop runs at windows xp sp3 pro 32bit. This don't occur to my laptop which is running to a windows vista 32bit sp2)
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
November 16, 2009 7:26:34 PM

It could be that your motherboard does not supply enough power to the USB port, or that you are using a USB hub instead of direct connection to the motherboard USB ports.
a c 415 G Storage
November 16, 2009 10:03:46 PM

sub mesa said:
You can lose data because of this, or even get a corrupted filesystem.
Actually it means you have lost data. The system tried to write it to disk, was unable, and has given up. Whatever data it was trying to write is gone, unless it's something like a Word document you tried to save and you still have the document open and can therefore save it somewhere else.
a c 127 G Storage
November 16, 2009 10:59:28 PM

Well due to journaling it doesn't have to mean you actually lost file data; the journal should correct the lost buffers and the filesystem should simply 'rewind' to a state in history; for example 30 seconds before the lost buffers occured (the last journal commit). So it doesn't have to mean you actually get corruption, though FAT32 doesn't offer any protection of this kind and will lose data.

However even NTFS journaling might not be enough in some cases, especially if the journal replay loses buffers too, then you can get into trouble. The journal replay occurs when the device becomes 'attached' again. I'm not too sure how Windows works in this regard, though i studied the usage of geom_journal in FreeBSD thoroughly. Also the SoftUpdates system is quite nice - its an alternative to journaling but achieves a similar effect, but without the write penalty. But it requires the storage sublayer to obey the 'flush' command; something harddrive buffers don't do; they just ignore it and lie about the flush command being finished. This is very bad of course.
a c 415 G Storage
November 17, 2009 12:48:27 AM

The point of journalling system is to keep the file system metadata in a consistent state. If a program tried to write data to the disk and the disk couldn't do the job, journalling should work to make sure that the file system is in a valid "before-the-data-was-written" state. The actual data that was being written is still not on the disk, and so it will be lost unless the copy in RAM can be written somewhere else.

Of course some of this depends on whether the write failure occurred when writing a data block vs. metadata information, but you get my drift.

And yes, hardware that lies about "flush" is very, very bad indeed. This may be one of the differences between "consumer" and "enterprise" class drives, although I haven't seen it explicitly mentioned.
a c 127 G Storage
November 17, 2009 2:17:26 AM

True about the first part. The enterprise drives do the same however. Its possible to disable write buffering however, but that would significantly lower performance to under 1MB/s speeds.

Instead, having a journal bigger than the added sum of all write-back buffers would cope with this, or in the case of FreeBSD's soft updates having enough delay between the separate commits (metadata - directories - files) would protect against data-loss with write buffering enabled.

But if you work on an Areca controller with 256MB+ write-back buffercache, you need a very big journal to protect against that, without the use of a BBU battery unit to guarantee the buffers are not lost.
!