Help! High pitched constant tone. is it my PSU ?

maru81

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Hello guys.

I have just built a new machine

Gigabyte P35 DS3L
OCZ 2GB RAM
Seagate 250GB HD
Intel Core to Duo e7300
BFG Nvidia 9600 GT

and Antec Sonata 3 case with Antec Earthwatt 500 watts PSU.

Soon as I turn on my comp, it starts to make this constant high pitched tone that slightly changes while windows is loading then goes back to same tone.

I tried it with only the CPU and RAM connected on the motherboard and still makes the same noise.

I'm assuming its the PSU.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Sounds like either the PSU isn't giving the video card enough juice, or you don't have the propery power connectors hooked up to the video card.

If I don't plug in power to my 8800GTS, it basically sounds like a smoke alarm going off.

maru81

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Sounds like either the PSU isn't giving the video card enough juice, or you don't have the propery power connectors hooked up to the video card.

If I don't plug in power to my 8800GTS, it basically sounds like a smoke alarm going off.

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

I doubled checked the power connector to the 9600GT, and it is 6 pin PCI-E connecter.

I will try it with an another PCI-E 6pin.

Edit

Just tried it with diffrect cable, no luck.
Everything works perfectly, and all the temps are fine, checked all the fans, I even played some Stranglehold game last night despite the high pitched tone it was making.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Take the video card out for a sec, and power it up. Is the high pitch sound gone? That way you can at least rule out its the video card for sure.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
although high pitched whine could mean anything, there are few thing it likely to be

if you are sure its the GPU, unplug the fan from the GPU's HSF, and load your PC up, although be sure to turn it off after you have worked up wether the sound is still bing made, if it is it is not the fan, it it stops it is the fan. i would guess that it would stop.

failing that it could be capactor whine, which is bad news. if unplugging the GPU's HS/F doesnt stop the whine RMA.

if it was a PCI connection issues the PC wouldnt have even posted, and there would be a on/off, on/off, beeping.

dont worry about unplugging the HSF as long as you switch off the system pronto when you can tell if has stopped or not.

ron123

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
do u have a CRT or LCD monitor? i also have this annoying whining sound coming from my comp and it almost made me rma my APC ups. turned out to be my monitor, googled it and found that some crt's do this and it is normal.
so if u have a crt and u hear this sound, just turn off the monitor and check to hear anything, if it stops u have the same prob as me and like u will will have to learn to live with it (or buy a new lcd).
i know this sounds weird but try it.

maru81

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
I think we have found the problem.

It was the GPU.

I stopped the fan briefly with my fingers (since I have no idea how to unplugg the HSF of the GPU) and the noise continued. Then GPU was taken out of the motherboard, turned on the comp and all was quiet.

I guess its time to return it.

Thanks guys for your help !

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh.. I was only trying to help you determine where the noise was coming from. Since you say its the video card, now the question is why?

What are the amps recommended for the 12v rails for the 9600 GT , and what does the PSU supply?

There's a slight chance replacing the card will have the same problem. Just kinda hard to say. I do remember my older 8800GTS making the alarm noise, even with the plug was connect. It was modular, so it turns out something wasn't in all the way.

Just my 2 cents.

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
removing the card will remove the load from the psu, mine has the same sound and it is most definetly the PSU

load up a 3d game and the sound become worse, it is one or more components in the psu vibrating (annoying as hell) when under load, you could either complain and rma the psu or you could fix it yourself with some silicone (you can find the components by opening the psu and using a PLASTIC rod to touch the components and listen for sound changes) it has to be on of course

or you can simply ignore it like me, I checking voltages and so on, on mine and it runs perfectly fine, it just got that annoying "whine" but when I play the sound is up anyways so don't notice it

maru81

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
hmm on the box of 9600 gt it says 425W with combined 12V current rating of 28A. On my Antec Earthwatts says it has two 12V with 22A on each.

I'm guessing thats plenty ??

I'm still newb at this, it's my 2nd time building a PC. First one went smooth as butter and this one is a pain.

you can simply ignore it like me

Is it safe to just ignore it ? I'm afraid its gonna fry some parts if it dies.
I did check the voltages using a program called HWMonitor and they were ok.

anyways thanks.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
17-371-007-04.jpg

Yep.. total actual power for 12v1 + 12v2 is 408w /12v = 34 amps

Only other thing is to try to wiggle that plug, perhaps its not getting a good connection. Cause I do remember having to mess with my other ZERODBA 620W PSU, which is modular, but for some reason my other 8800GTS (320mb) video card kept squeeling, till I messed with the 6 pin cable. All I remember was wiggling it. :lol:. o O (Ahhhhh silence)

I dunno, prolly worth RMA it while its practically brand new perhaps.

maru81

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
All I remember was wiggling it. :lol:. o O (Ahhhhh silence)

Haha thats really something :)

This computer is actually for my girlfriend, she wanted a Wii but I'm trying to get her in to PCs ;) , and needed a new desktop anyways (building is better then buying those HPs and Dells).

I think all this is result from her badluck with computers, you should see her labtop (ohh my eyes :heink:)

Innocent

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008

Your Antec Earthwatts is the EA-500 made by Seasonic, I guess the PSU the topic-starter has is the EA-500D, made by Delta. So the PSU you have isn't really comparable...

maru81

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
I checked the model name and it is the EA-500D model.

hmm did some research on the net, apparantly 500D is the worse model.

I put the 9600GT video card in my own comp and there was no high pitched tone.

Damn it, I knew I should of got Corsair or PC & Power Cooling unit and a seperate case.

The noise doesn't bother me nor my girlfriend, long as it's safe.

I will probably pick up a Corsair 520W PSU and return the Antec unit. Then sell it to my bro when they send back to me.

Innocent

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I checked the model name and it is the EA-500D model.

hmm did some research on the net, apparantly 500D is the worse model.

Well, I know some people who have this PSU (the EA-500D) and don't have any problems so I think you've simply got bad luck. (I'll have a EA-500D in a few weeks, I'll post something if there's something wrong with it)

@Grimmy: it is quite unusual that there are 2 manufacturers for the same product, so don't blame yourself ;)

srtboy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
what antec is doing is not right these are too different products. this is definitely a bait and switch.

TRENDING THREADS