Yan Yan

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I have two identical HP DL380 all having the same Hardwares in it. Both is running on Raid 5. The purpose that i get two identical servers is that its meant to be a secondary server for backup from my main server running on exchange.

Server 1 & 2, both identical hardwares, server 1 is running live & is my exchange 2003 server. both on Raid 5

Now the tricky thing is i try to backup & restore from Acronis Enterprise from server 1 to server 2, apparantly it doesn't work. i have some IT consultants told me that its because of the Raid 5 that is making you to have a successful clone.

And they told me that Ghost do not work on machine running on Raid 5.

Please advise!

sub mesa

Distinguished
Why don't you backup on the filesystem-level? Simple file replication should always work; which will simply transfer files from your main pc to the backup pc.

But this is more of a windows application question, as i do not use windows i cannot really advise you which applications to use.

But if it doesn't work for RAID5, it wouldn't work for any RAID; so its not that RAID5 doesn't support this kind of thing; or something. More the other way around.

So i don't really see why you need a low-level clone, instead of file-based replication.

Yan Yan

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Yes,

Server 2, is a new Hard Disks and Same Hardware.
Yes I want the same like Server One.
Server 2 doesn't have OS.

In Case Serve 1 have a problem, I want to straightly switch to Server 2.

In Case I need to update and test, I will be test on Server 2 first. That is why i want Server 2 the same like Server 1.

Thanks.