Read this before purchasing a modular PSU!

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Just my experience herewith, my Thermaltake W0057 500W unit refused to start up a few weeks ago. This after me suspecting a weird problem long before this happened.

It turned out that the main 24 pin motherboard connector on the ciruit board in the PSU was riddled with dry joints (cracked solder joints)!

Just over half the joints had cracked (one half and some). I soldered them up again noticing that there was not enough solder in the joints to support the pins.

Just a shame I had already bought another modular PSU :sweat:

I wonder how long this one will last... They were probably both made at CWT.

Happy thoughts people :whistle:

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Oops, I forgot to mention that the PSU is in action again although I did notice a few smaller caps were bulging at the tops, I assume this has been caused by the arcing of the connectors while the solder joints were cracked and thus caused a bit of premature aging for all components inside the PSU.

What about the bad power that my PC components were receiving over a long period in time (spikes)? I suppose I am to expect failure at some stage soon? Luck will prevail.

The PSU was nearly two years old only disconnected/connected a few times from the system. Not heavy use.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
All modular PSU no matter who makes them or how much they cost are -still- modular and will always have the same issues/problems/faults.

The best PSU maker (PC Power & Cooling) never uses modular connection becuase they are a point of trouble/failure.

A modular PSU has more ways that it may be [accidentally] abused, but that doesn't mean it will be. We use an essentially modular connector for anything we plug into the wall, and I've only rarely had to replace one.

Any connector on a power supply can fail, wether on a modular cable or not.
I can't count how many burnt ATX 12 volt connectors I've seen.
Do us all a favor and try not to spread the FUD.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ive had 3 modulars over the past 3-4 years, different wattages and different brands all worked fine with no problems, ever. As a matter of fact ive had a 500W Antec Smartpower 2.0 that I used roughly 2 years ago that has been sitting in storage basically since then, hooked it up the other day to test out some parts for a friend and it works perfectly.

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007

I agree^ not all modular PSU's are of the same build quality and design.

I would rather not take a chance with a modular design, more to go wrong, higher risk...

It does seem that one 12V rail as opposed to multiple rails offer more stability anyway?

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007

I forgot, this forum is pro- "lets make all the manufaturers richer", not oops there might be a problem....

I posted this topic to allow all users to see that not all Modular PSU's are good. Started writing with "my experience".

FUD off.

Cindy67

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
I for one would like to see more on this topic. I'm in the planning phases of my first build and I think a modular psu might be just the thing to get me over the fear from "omg look at all those wires!" Once it is together and working properly I intend to close the case and just look in loving thru the side panel at my work for the next few years, while I hack and slash my way through Hyboria. So I wont be yanking on the connectors if I don't have to and I can cover up the open spots with some electrical tape.

I originally chose this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

But now I'm leaning towards this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371010

Will I be sacrificing quality for convenience and asthetics? Or might this be the better way for a 1st time builder to go?

One more thing......what's a FUD?

DatmanII

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007

Fear, Uncertainty, & Doubt

I have a Thermaltake 750w PSU that's modular, couple of years old now and no problems.

Cindy67

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
I have plenty of FUD to go around! LOL Just when I think I've got this all figured out I read another review and I have to start all over. I cant count how many times I've changed my mind on the case alone!

kenzz0

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
What you pay for is what you get ! Show me a HIGH QUALITY PSU with this kind of fault and I will eat it :) ThermalTake as all the other brands have cheap products and expensive products.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well all modular PSU's shouldn't (theoretically) provide as stable voltages as a non modular psu cos theres more resistance there...

i think what the OP was talking about was the connection between the modular plug and the modular socket in the PSU correct? well that's not really a problem for all PSU's.. i mean thats the same sort of socket and plug as you would find on a graphics card or motherboard, and they don't stuff up like that..

really depends on the modular psu.

+1 for PC P&C, Corsairs, Antecs, SeaSonics and Xigmateks. yes, xigmateks. :D

@mythor20

Thanks for sharing your incident, thats one point I hadn't even considered when I had made my last decision not to go the modular route.

My earlier concerns were typical corrosion buildup on the connections that usually occur with DC voltage, that can easily be eliminated by using an OX inhibitor like OXGUARD.

However if a company like PCP&C chooses not to go the modular route, they have good reasons behind their decisions to do so,

Modulars are quite convenient for those lacking skills to hide the unused branch lines of the P/S, when just a little ingenuity can resolve most every case situation, but the more connections you have the more possible failure points and thats just a fact of life.

Excellent discovery on your part, most less electrically inclined would have been dead in the water!

You had the skills to resolve the issue!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I've used modular and non-modular power supplies in pretty equal measure. I had a non-modular power supply have a similar problem (just because it does not pop off does not mean it does not have a connector). The difference between a modular and non-modular power supply is that you can replace a bad connector with a modular power supply...

Sounds like that PSU was assembled on a Monday by a hung over Worker and QAed on a Friday by a employee thinking about the week-end with His GF on a beach.

I have a modular PS, about a year and half old and no problems. Although the link DellUser1 provided states that the contact resistance is overblown - it still is an added resistance. This resistance will only increase over time. Will it create a problem - probably not. Gold plated contacts reduce (not prevent) a slight corrosion build up over time. Simply unpluging the connector and plugging it back in reduces this effect (ie on a yearly basis). On the negative - gold is a 3rd rate conductor. I would take issue with the test report that the contact resistance is less than two feet of wire - That would depend on the wire gauge and should be conducted after a Years use - in any case, It is still an ADDED resistance over a identical non-modular design.

Note: I would still use a modular PSU of GOOD quality.

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Well folks, my PSU worked after "i sorted it out" but alas it did not last (left it in the box now wont come alive).

I will desolder the entire conector and solder it back on and see.

I think we need to ensure the quality of the product prior to purchasing it but as someone said it's luck of the draw as well (Monday build)?

If the design is good and the soldering up to standard then I do not see a reason for us to live with spider web cables.

Me personally, I will not buy another modular unless the Antec signature is modular:-(

Kari

Splendid
well I fail to understand how the poor solder joints OP found have anything to do with the psu being modular???

all the modular psus I've seen have had the essential cables (24pin, 4/8pin) permanently attached like ordinary psu would have, (ie soldered to the main pcb inside the unit). If those joints are poorly soldered by some 1D10t, it has nothing to with the rest of the unit or how the rest of the cables are 'routed'.

kenzz0

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I simply dont agree with this post. Have you ever dismantled a Corsair HX1000 ? It's modular PSU but it's high quality. You will be suprised by the quality of the components and soldering. I can almost guarantee this PSU wont develop this kind of fault ever. Have dismantled SilverStone 1000 Strider, 100% modular and again nice quality build. The debate modular / non modular is purely a matter of WHAT YOU NEED and WHAT YOU PREPARED TO SPEND. Modulars have a big advantage of distributing the power where you need and building neat setups without cables hanging everywhere. Modulars having higher resistance is a myth because we not talking about extremely low voltages and long wires plus most of the high quality PSU uses gold plated pins. Of course if you spent 50 bucks for a modular PSU what would you expect to get? - A quality built , gold plated pins with all solid capacitors?...NO WAY ! You ACCEPTED to spend 50 bucks to SAVE so you MIGHT get a decent PSU or not....it's a toss of coin. Do you get angry if you discover all the joints are crap quality and the pins are just plain lead plated - you shouldn't! remember this is what you have paid for! I would get angry if I would of discover the same fault in a 250 bucks PSU, but honestly I would EAT that PSU if you can show me one :) And one more thing : there are two different types of modular PSU 1) TRUE MODULAR with TRUE SEPARATE RAILS and 2) SPLIT RAIL MODULAR PSU - again is depending on what are you prepared to pay for, dont expect a true separate rail PSU to cost as much as a split rail ! The debate can go deeper into the quality of the high voltage capacitors, the quality of all the other capacitors, coils, filters, switching transformers, voltage regulators, cooling, etc etc etc. IN ORDER TO GIVE GOOD ADVICES AND DEBATE PSU BUILT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND ELECTRONICS AND TO RUN LOTS OF TESTS. IF YOU DONT, SIMPLY STAY AWAY FROM GIVING PROFESSIONAL ADVICES, KEEP IT JUST AS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE :)

to Kenzzo
IN ORDER TO GIVE GOOD ADVICES AND DEBATE PSU BUILT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND ELECTRONICS AND TO RUN LOTS OF TESTS. IF YOU DONT, SIMPLY STAY AWAY FROM GIVING PROFESSIONAL ADVICES, KEEP IT JUST AS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE
Unquote.

If this was aimed at me then please engage brain and remove foot from mouth before speaking.

I probably have equal or better qualifications than some, if not most, of the reviewer you place so much stock in.

(1) Taught electronics for some 10 years, including 3 different radar systems. This included the complete circuit analysis of series regulated, shunt regulated, High voltage, and switching PS.

(2) Head of the electronics dept of a community college for three years.

(3) 18 years at NASA. Lead Technician for Satellite instrument, Lead technician for the research 737 data collection system, Lead technician for the Navy F16 drop model project, and finally as the test engineer for a satellite instrument.