Nvidia 9600gt artifacts with no overclocking??

G

My 9600gt produces horizantal white lines while gaming.They're more like wide bars than lines, and sometimes they're very noticed and sometimes not.I didnt overclock my gpu.The power supply is 460 w which satisfies the minimum of 400 watts required.Gpu maxes at 80 C under load in crysis, but i feel the gpu is under performing because crysis reaches 10 fps sometimes at all meduim.Cpu is intel e2220 overclocked to 2.9 ghz stable.

Should I return the gpu or what??
Could it be the monitor but i doubt that??

Please tell me if you need to know anything else.

Many thanks in advance.

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Your poor Crysis performance is due to your CPU. Still, 80 is pretty high at load. How early on did you buy this card? Some cards up to a couple weeks after release had pretty flaky BIOS's. My move would be to return it, that's what I did with mine.

G

Thanks for replying.
The cpu actually is stronger than the gpu. Any dual core at 2.9 ghz bottlenecks much stronger gpu's. 80 is standard temperature for many cards.For some people,its 85+ C so 80 is fine.I bought the card a week ago and I am most probably going to return it.Thanks!

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
My EVGA 9600 GT SSC rarely hits 73, never seen it higher, even in Crysis. I know other cards hit 100 or higher, but not the G94 chip. And yes, your CPU is the bottleneck, even at 2.9 it has too little cache to process quickly. Anyway, glad I could help.

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Wow that is kinda high. What brand of 9600GT did you get. I got the ECS 9600GT with a passive Areo Cooler that came with it and I never get over 40. Well thats because I did mod using zipties and an 80mm fan.

Have you checked to see what the speed of the fan is??? You might have to set it to max to cool off your card better. You can use a little program called SpeedFan. This proggy allows you to set the figures for all fans in you computer that are connected to the mobo.

Just a thought.

G

Its XFX and the fan is running at 100%.I set it using rivatuner.Maybe its kinda of hot.
Thanks for replying.

G

Gigabyte P35-DS3L Motherboard
Intel E2220 2.4ghz @ 2.9 ghz stock cooler
Twinmos 2GB DDR2 800MHZ
Gigabyte 460 watts power supply
XFX 9600gt @ stock speeds stock cooler
Windows xp pro sp2
could it be an overheating issue if its 80 C at load???