Q9450 CPU multiplier help please

FullyXtreme

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
I just built my PC and ran CPUZ and was confused. In my Bios is says CPU multiplier is X 8 but when I run CPUZ it says X 6. Whn I llok in Nvinida Control Panel it doesnt display the CPU information just temperature and speed.

Why is this ? Is this normal ? Is it just CPUZ displaying the wrong info ? Any fixxes or suggestions.

Heres my system Specs , Nvidia 780i Board, Q9450 CPU , 8800GT GPU,

Im also have 2 different brands of RAM if it matters DDR2 PC2-6400 2 x 1 gb, and DDR2 PC2-4300 2 x 512MB

Untitled.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

FullyXtreme

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Ok I read that post .. So should I change my power settings in Vista ? And do nothing to BIos ?

edit : NM Im gonna try to dsiable SpeedStep in Bios and see what happens. Thnx

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You can change the power scheme to high performance if you want, but if your worried not having full power, just put a simple load on the CPU. I should go to the default multiplier of 8.

It's main purpose is to cut down on heat, to run cooler, unless your living somewhere that you need heat from your PC. :D

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
dont worry man, that look like speed step, it'll clock its self up under laod, you dont need all that horse power when webbrowsing, so it save electricity. leave it be.

FullyXtreme

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks Grimmy and dooby . I tried looking under Bios and seen no such setting so I let everything be .. came back to the thread started up Vegas 2 and ran CPUZ and it showed the right multiplier.

Is 41 degrees celsius a good temp .. Im running the CPU fan at 100% all the time as well.

I only play Vegas 2 and Gears of War on the Pc and a little photoshop and of course web browsing .. Am I safe ?

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Can you list the HS your using?

Im also have 2 different brands of RAM if it matters DDR2 PC2-6400 2 x 1 gb, and DDR2 PC2-4300 2 x 512MB

Also, I just noticed your using to 4 different memory modules, DDR2 533 and DDR2 800? That's kind of odd, and may reduce the performance.

Could you also post a CPU-Z validation like in my sig? I just want to see the memory speed on that.

As far as 41C, if that is a Tcase temp, its a lil warm (edit that is if its idle, but if it was from the game, thats pretty good) but ambient temps would be the main factor on that.

FullyXtreme

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008

heres my cpu-z validation

heres the link for CPU_z validation http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=412198

I dont know what HS means so I dont know if I musing it. Sorry if Im not real technical.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
HS=heatsink. I was wondering if you are using a stock or 3rd party.

Freq : 2667.08 MHz (333.38 * 8)
RAM Speed : 266.7 MHz (5:4) @ 4-4-4-12

Just to let you know about the memory speed, it's definitely running it 5:4 ratio. The ram is going by the slower speed 266mhz (533 DDR2) while the CPU is running at 333mhz. Might have been better with the slower ram being DDR2667, so both would be 333mhz for 1:1.

If you want, just run the DDR2 800, 2GB should be okay, it should perform better. Since the ram is running 266mhz, the CPU will be waiting on ram which would bogg the system down.

SPEEDSTEP STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Speedstep. Now just to let the OP know it will not hurt anything nor lower performance. What happens is when the CPU is idle it lowers the multiplier in order to lower heat and save power. But when it gets to 20% load it will kick up to its maximum speed and multiplier.

Most games use about 20-30% of your CPUs potential so it will probbaly always be running at 2.66GHz when you game. But when you surf the web its more than enough power at 2GHz to do that.

FullyXtreme

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Thank you for everyone who helped your information was Xtremly helpful. I have decided to yank out the slower ram and stick with only the 2gb ddr2 800. I guess Ill go back to microcenter and invest in some more ramm. What would be my best options to get ? Is there anything better than DDR2 800 that I can use with this board ? I purchased this board because I wont invest in DDR3 until I get new GPU's and a new board probably next year.

As far as temps go someone had a good eye because my HS is a thermaltake mini typhoon. I leave my pc running all day mostly and thats what the temps are regularly. But Iam using two different programs to determine my CPU temps. The nvidia control panel consistently shows my temps at 30 - 31 C and this program called Core Temp shows it a high of 41 C. I dont know which one is more accurate but Im glad to hear these temps are safe .. somewhat ? right ? Im getting paranoid now.

Again thanks for all of your help and will refer to this board for any future advice .. of course after using the search feature first. Heres a look at everything put together .. I used an Antec 1200 case.

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00710.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Just some quick answers:

The main thing about memory is if you mix them, the system will force the faster ram to the lower. So keep in mind you would also have to disgard the DDR2800 with faster ram. DDR2800 should be fine, faster memory won't really give you better results if you run it stock, and to run the DDR2 800 at its advertise speed (1:1 ratio) would OC your CPU to 3.2ghz (400x8). Depending on the qualtiy of the DDR2800, you might be able to push it to DDR21066 speed. Some of the DDR21066 is basically OC DDR2800. Hope that didn't sound too complicated.

Now the temps, you have different sensors for the Q9450. A total of 5. The Tcase sensor is used by the bios, or MB utility app that shows CPU/System. SpeedFan will also display those temps but you may need to relabel them correctly. If you ever install SpeedFan, it will tell you what it sees, but from there on, you need to figure out what it exactly sees. Then there are Tjuction sensors. These sensors are on the cores themselves, known as DTS (Digital Thermal Sensors). So Tcase (1) and Tjuction (4) for 5 different sensors. The Tcase sensor is basically an IHS reading, since it sits between the cores. That is why the temp reading is lower. The DTS will give higher readings normally. Thing is, you shouldn't trust IDLE temps on the cores/Tjuction. And on the newer 45nm CPUS, like the Q9450, the senors can be stuck when the system is at idle.

Nice Case BTW.