Power Supply/Power Up Problem

jeff5

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
My PC was having a hard time powering up, meaning that I'd hold down the button and nothing would happen, or it would take like 10-15 seconds. It got to the point where it would work sometimes, sometimes not.

So I replaced my old 350 watt supply with a 600 watt Thermaltake thinking this would help. (I was putting a lot of stress on the 350, and it didn't have a SATA connector, so I figured it was toast)

Still have the same issue. The green light on my mother board is on, but when I press the power button, nothing. It still may work intermittently though, remains to be seen. I'm hoping its not my motherboard, but I can't think of anything else except for maybe the connection from my case to my mobo? I can't even find a way to access these though. When it was working with the old PSU, when it turned on, it wouldn't power down or make any beeps or anything like that. Any tips or help would be appreciated. Thanks

jeff5

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I tried the paper clip trick to power up the power supply on its own, and it didn't work. When I leave the CPU connnecter connected, I hear a small fan start and a beep, then it just dies. This is with the 20 pin disconnected using the paper clip. Did I just buy a brand new Thermaltake that's defective? If I unplug the 20 pin and start to plug it in half way, my fans will come on like it gets a bit of a charge, then just stop working.

Here are my system specs:

Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
AMD Atholon 4200+ Processor
2 gigs of ram (forget the brand)
160 gig seagate HD
ATI 3850 AGP graphics card
Thermaltake Purepower 600W PSU

I see the mobo does have some power down options etc., but they've never been an issue before except that occasionally I'd have to hold down the on button for a few seconds for it to start. Thanks again in advance.

jeff5

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Quick update. (yes I'm answering myself, sorry!!) The Thermaltake does work, its just very quiet and I didn't see the fan running. I took it out and did the paper clip test and its fine, as is my old Maxpower 350 that I had in there.

So its definately something else, am I just going to have ro fork over for a new mobo? Or could it be another issue? I may post on the mobo section about the A8V deluxes, as I know they have a lot of power saving features, maybe something whacky is happening.