Sign in with
Your question

Problems with Removing Second Partition

Last response: in Storage
November 14, 2009 4:33:32 PM

I recently upgraded from xp to 7. I used to be dual booting xp and 7 beta. When I upgraded, I decided to remove the partition that 7 beta was on and expanded the xp (now upgraded to 7) partition to the full hard disk capacity. However, after deleting the second partition the new Windows 7 is still not accessing the full hard disk. Furthermore, I still get the dual boot option even though there shouldn't be any other operating system to boot.

I used GParted to first delete the unwanted partition and then expand the desired partition to the full disk capacity.

To summarize, the following is a chronological list of what I did and the problems I am now experiencing.

Dual booted with xp and 7 beta (60 GB to xp and 30 GB to 7 beta)
Upgraded xp to 7
Deleted Windows 7 beta partition
Expanded Windows 7 partition (60 -> 90 GB)

Problems:
1) In "My Computer", drive c is still showing a max of 60 GB, but disk management software in Windows 7 and GParted both show 90 GB.

2) I still get the dual boot screen when my computer turns on even though I now only have one operating system.

Thank you for any help

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 16, 2009 6:37:26 AM

What are the options that appear on your boot screen? All leading to Windows 7?
November 16, 2009 4:04:53 PM

Download bcdedit and remove the entry. The boot manager is on the first drive
Related resources
November 17, 2009 11:42:29 PM

Yes, both options lead to Windows 7, except one no longer exists (for obvious reasons) so I therefore can't boot into it (I tried).
November 17, 2009 11:43:49 PM

I also still have the problem of the entire hard drive not showing up in "My Computer".
!