Overheating Why?

gAMEmUSIC

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
ASUS P5Q Pro

e8400

PC Probe is warning that the mobo is overheating at about 49 degrees, while the CPU is only 32 degrees.

What could be causing this, how do I test if it's the sensor being crazy, and what can I do about it?

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Well, if you have good case cooling and didn't up your north bridge voltage, I would think the temp reading on your mobo is a little wonky. That is, assuming the NB cooling is attached properly. Sometimes those pre-installed heat sinks can pull away just enough to heat things up.

gAMEmUSIC

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
The case is a NZXT Tempest with 6 fans, but only the 2 top and 1 rear fans are plugged in, and the window is off, because I am not done. But those are the fans that are closest to the board. The PCP&C PSU has a ton of cables which may be restricting air flow but again they are under the board and with it open the fans that are running should be getting tons of air?

How can I test the sensor?

49c isn't that warm. It all depends on your room temp. If you don't have any instability issues, I would forget about it, since you already have good case airflow. Many sensors aren't accurate. All cpus and northbridge chipsets will run fine up to about 60c.