Sign in with
Your question

Core Duo vs Turion X2

Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2008 12:21:00 AM

I have a choice between two laptops.

One laptop has a Core Duo T2450 based on Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 945.

The other has a 1.8 GHz AMD Turion ™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56 based on NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150.

My question is, which one of these laptops is better and faster in all areas? They're both the same price so that does not have an impact.

Thank you

More about : core duo turion

September 2, 2008 12:28:44 AM

core duo hands down.
September 2, 2008 12:29:23 AM

Can you explain why please? and maybe provide some sort of benchmarks backing your statement?

thanks
Related resources
September 2, 2008 12:38:59 AM

actually, after doing a quick google, the turion x2 beats the core duo in most tests. after all, this is the core duo, not the core 2 duo.

take a look for yourself: http://xtreview.com/review81.htm
September 2, 2008 12:43:48 AM

probably depends then. pick your favorite brand. i myself believe the amd to be better while some will say intel.
September 2, 2008 12:46:36 AM

Lol what now? I think the Core Duo edges out the turion x2 in most benchmarks...I just need some more solid stuff to make my choice.
September 2, 2008 12:47:00 AM

laytons said:
probably depends then. pick your favorite brand. i myself believe the amd to be better while some will say intel.

without having done any research, i immediately thought intel. but after seeing those benchmarks, it's hard to tell. i'd probably have to go with the amd just because it has a more capable IGP, even though it's still embarrassingly slow.
September 2, 2008 1:04:06 AM

But most of the benchmarks show the Core Duo being better... Hmm
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2008 1:09:44 AM

Both should be fairly close, with the edge going to the Intel (but not by much). I'd go with the AMD because of graphics performance - the Go 6150 should be quite a bit better than the GMA 945.

Now, if you can find a laptop with a Core 2 duo, that would be a different story...
September 2, 2008 1:10:41 AM

i would go with intel core 2 duo for a laptop. i had very bad experience with the turion x2 drains battery quick and gets hot! my laptop with a core 2 duo runs cooler, much longer battery life and just as fast.

update! my mistake i thought u meant core 2 duo in that case there both turion and core duo are about equal.
September 2, 2008 1:19:02 AM

Perhaps link to the Laptops that are you choices.............
What do you want to laptop for?

Are they both Used and Refurbed?
The 1st thing that comes to mind is battery life since new batteries are not usually part of the deal with refurbed laptops.
September 2, 2008 1:21:11 AM

No I ordered both from ebay (they're both used and in excellent condition). I have a choice between one of them and will just sell the other to someone (already have a buyer). I will sell it for as much as I bought it. I will use a new battery that I'm going to order.
September 2, 2008 1:32:28 AM

nightscope said:
No I ordered both from ebay (they're both used and in excellent condition). I have a choice between one of them and will just sell the other to someone (already have a buyer). I will sell it for as much as I bought it. I will use a new battery that I'm going to order.

i think the best question to ask you is what you plan on doing with the laptop? if it's just for internet browsing and other basic tasks, then just keep the one that you think looks nicer.
September 2, 2008 1:52:14 AM

And I really Don't get why the Make/Model etc... are so secret.
Personally, I would sell both and buy a new one for about $400.

That way I would not need to worry about buying a new battery etc...
September 2, 2008 2:45:30 AM

Lol it's not secret. They're both HP dv2000 series notebooks. I bought each for about $400. I'm buying a new battery because one of them came with one that does not hold a charge so the seller paid me for a new battery.

I doubt I can find a new laptop with these specs (14 inch monitor size and HP).

I'm going to use the laptop for basic stuff, some web design, and possible some photoshop use in the future. Maybe some basic gaming as well.
September 2, 2008 7:21:43 AM

nightscope said:

wait till they turn up and see which one you like better and run you own benchmarks. :kaola: 
September 2, 2008 7:54:24 AM

I own a laptop with a Core Duo, which I upgraded to a Core 2 Duo processor. From what I remember, if the motherboard supports the Core Duo processor, usually using the latest BIOS will allow you to use a Core 2 Duo. I bought a laptop before a Core 2 Duo was even available, and a BIOS update and processor later I was in business with the latest and greatest. See what your laptop can be upgraded to.
September 2, 2008 11:57:57 AM

Well whatever you do try to get a Hi Def screen I think they look really nice, IMO and they add to your computer experience alot.
!