Sign in with
Your question

what processor can my mobo handle?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
September 2, 2008 1:17:14 AM

I need to find out what processor my mobo can handle.......cpuz reports my mobo as being a "sony corp q-project"

I'll try to get screenshots of cpu-z ASAP...

FSB is currently rated at 531.8 MHZ....if that helps!

BTW, my current cpu is an intel pentium 4 clocked at 2.66 ghz....socket 478 mPGA

More about : processor mobo handle

a b à CPUs
September 2, 2008 3:56:47 AM

probally the pentium 4 northwoods that run on 533fsb. Basically it isnt capable of running any chip this is really worth the upgrade.
September 2, 2008 5:02:36 AM

Yes, you're within 10-15% of the max.
Related resources
September 2, 2008 5:14:47 AM

a really cheap motherboard would give you better options than what you have now. toss it.
September 2, 2008 12:22:11 PM

rockbyter said:
a really cheap motherboard would give you better options than what you have now. toss it.

how?, it's a laptop.....when I build my pc's ( I know basic things such as how to put together the components , and how to install a processor and video card, ram, HDDs, sound card, etc..., but not much of the technical stuff, such as memory timings, clocks, or FSB), I use nothing less than a 680i....But I want to upgrade this laptop, since it's out of warranty, and I just upgraded ram to 1gb.....

here's a screenshot of the cpu tab...I'll try to get one of the motherboard tab (i'm going out for breakfast now)

September 2, 2008 12:37:56 PM

Heres my motherboard tab, just a quick one before I left....

Is there anything that can be done to upgrade my processor?

I know there are some dual core with socket 478 at a 533 MHz fsb, but I haven't seen them in a while maybe I made a mistake......
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2008 1:04:29 PM

You will be extremely lucky to even find a mobile socket 478 processor these days. Not worth spending money on even if you did.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 2, 2008 2:20:00 PM

its the same socket and same fsb speed as urs atm, no reason why not however going fom 2.66 to 3.2 wont make a massive differnce imo no point
September 2, 2008 6:08:21 PM

Ok, so I was wondering.....if I raise my fsb, won't that allow me to use an 800mhz processor (it's a 478 socket)?
September 3, 2008 1:03:14 PM

Good news, there wasn't a clockgen for my pll but I updated to the most recent version of my bios (Directly from pheonix using their "bios agent plus" utility") and it's allowed me to control clock speeds and my front side bus speed....if I can raise it to 667mhz (fsb), wouldn't I be able to use this processor?

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Intel-BoxMobile-DC-Yonah-66...

thanks....
September 4, 2008 2:11:34 PM

Nope.

Edit:

Laptops are basically, what you get is what you paid for. Your trying to install a CPU that is totally different then what you have.
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2008 3:04:05 PM

Upgrading your laptop from a 2.66 to a 3.2 is your only option if it is possible..

Other things to consider is this...

3.2 will run hotter than 2.66 is the heatsink man enough

Personally I wouldnt bother... Put some more ram if you havent already, maybe a 5400 ide 2.5 inch hard disk in it but from then on there is nothing else available...

Sony keep this information all to them selves, they will not disperse any information to anyone appart from them selves...

Some laptop motherboards had dipswitches on but no info was released regarding these switches...

Asus made some sony machines I hasten to add...

I would sell the sony and upgrade to a new core 2 duo if i were u, as you may end up with no laptop whatsoever..

September 26, 2008 1:15:42 PM

Hellboy said:
Upgrading your laptop from a 2.66 to a 3.2 is your only option if it is possible..

Other things to consider is this...

3.2 will run hotter than 2.66 is the heatsink man enough

Personally I wouldnt bother... Put some more ram if you havent already, maybe a 5400 ide 2.5 inch hard disk in it but from then on there is nothing else available...

Sony keep this information all to them selves, they will not disperse any information to anyone appart from them selves...

Some laptop motherboards had dipswitches on but no info was released regarding these switches...

Asus made some sony machines I hasten to add...

I would sell the sony and upgrade to a new core 2 duo if i were u, as you may end up with no laptop whatsoever..

OK! so it turns out that I had to open this laptop anyway (fan was running on all the time). Turns out it was completely disgusting (the amount of dust)....Seems Sony didn't solder either the GPU or the CPU onto the motherboard. When I pulled out the cpu fan + heatsink + graphics fan (all in one neat assembly. the cpu came off with it. There was no solder. And to my surprise!!!!! the mobo supports socket 479 as well ( turns out its backwards compatible with socket 478. It has 479 pin holes and the cpu bracket itself says socket 479.

Do you think I should upgrade to socket 479...or try a socket 478 celeron d?

Either way....I would like to ask in order to save myself the hassle, but if I must...I can always return it either way. What do you think???!!!!!

Sorry for the exclamation marks....I'm just got exited all of a sudden......(not that I don't have any other laptops...but I don't want to get rid of this one.)

Thanks again
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2008 2:50:19 PM

I got some socket 479 processors and they are the Centrino which run at 2Ghz

Now dont be put off by the lower clock rate..

A 2GHz centrino will run faster than a 478 3.2GHz..

The reason is that desktop p4s are throttled in laptops due to heat and power restraints and the Centrino was designed for the laptop market..

less heat means maximum speed which means woop ass

i got them off ebay.. youll need also some decent heat sink paste to contact the processor to the heatsink..

If your saying this is the case and its socket 479 then these babies will work
September 27, 2008 6:01:25 PM

When Intel introduced the Core2Duo class CPUs, the power requirements changed, even though the socket was unchanged from the Pentium 4/Pentium D. Thus, just because your laptop has a socket that will physically take the CPU doesn't mean the power circuitry can support it properly (not talking about max amps here). Also, it looks like your MB has an ATI chipset, which is extremely unlikely to be able to run any faster than at the designed FSB speed.

However, since it's pretty clear you don't want to listen to us, go ahead and try it; it's only money.
!