Sign in with
Your question

My computer won't recognise my old hard drive.

Last response: in Storage
November 15, 2009 3:20:02 AM

I got a new ssd and I transferred all of my hdd's files onto it, then wiped the hdd. However, the OS only recognizes the ssd now, and I can't do anything (i.e. save, install to) with the old drive. I tried it in the same sata port and in a different one on the motherboard, and nothing. The bios recognizes both are connected, but in My Computer one the ssd shows up. What should I do? I really want that old drive for general purpose storage.
a b G Storage
November 19, 2009 4:19:53 AM

You can't even format the hard disk? You can also try using GParted to format the hard disk independent of Windows.
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
November 19, 2009 1:19:37 PM

You "wiped the hdd". How?

Do you know how to use Disk Management to Partition a HDD unit and then Format the Partition?
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2009 6:59:05 PM

When I booted to the file transfer software (the disk kingston's ssd came with) and it exchanged files, the software asked me if I wanted to keep the data on the disk or wipe it. I wiped it, and now it doesn't even show up in my computer. It does in the bios though, but I don't know how to use that to my advantage.
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
November 19, 2009 7:46:22 PM

If My Computer does not even show an empty hard drive with a letter name, there are two possibilities. Either the transfer software deleted all its Partitions, or it left that structure in place but "stole" the letter name of the old HDD (used to be C: I suspect) and it has no name now.

Either way, IF you want to treat that hard drive unit as empty with nothing you want to save, I suggest your best route is to make sure it really does NOT have any old remnants of Partitions and start fresh. Click on Start and in that main menu RIGHT-click on My Computer and choose Manage from its mini-menu. On the left expand "Storage" if necessary and click on "Disk Management". You will see two scrolling windows on the right. The upper one shows all the drives Windows can use right now. The LOWER RIGHT pane shows the hardware devices present, and your HDD should be there as one horizontal block. At its left end will be a small label saying "Disk_0" or something, its size, and a few other bits. To the right of that MAY be a block representing an existing Partition, and / or a block labeled "Unallocated Space" If you really do not plan to keep any old data on this disk (last chance!) you should RIGHT-click on any Partition it shows and Delete the Partition, until ALL of the space is Unallocated.

Now it's really empty. RIGHT-click on the Unallocated Space and choose to Create a Primary Partition. When you do this, depending on which OS you have, you may get a wizard popping up to help you through these steps, maybe not - there are two steps, but the Wizard may make them look like one. For the Partition, assuming you want to use it only for data storage and NOT for booting from, set it not to be bootable. You can make the size anything up to the whole disk - if you choose smaller, you can come back here later and create another Partition to be used just like a separate drive. You may be doing the Partition operation now with those options, or the Wizard (if you have one) may also be offering you Format choices. Format is the second operation, done after the Partition is created. For large disks like this choose the NTFS File System unless you know you need FAT32 for some reason. A Quick Format will do all the work in 10 to 15 minutes. A Full Format will do the Quick work and then spend MANY hours doing a thorough test of the entire disk surface for errors and marking them off to prevent use - not a bad idea for a used HDD, but allow the time for the job. Run the task.

When Partitioning and Formatting are finished it probably will show you a letter name for the disk. Exit out of Disk Management and reboot to make the changes permanent. Your old disk should now show up in My Computer as a new drive with its own name, ready to use.
m
l
!