thurst0n

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Hello. I am in the process of doing research for parts for my first ever build.
After doing some research I am pretty sure on what I'm going to choose for the motherboard/processor.

EVGA nVidia 750i SLI FTW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

In doing my research and reading reviews and specifications, I feel I am getting conflicting data about this particular board. I was under the impression it supported DUAL x16 SLI mode instead of the 2nd one droping to x8 like the other 750 boards.

I will probably end up going with an 8800GT or GTS to start and if I feel its necessary get another to SLI.

Any suggestions for PSU or RAM? These are really the parts I am not sure on, or what to look for. I know the PSU needs to be able to power everything substantially. I want the RAM to be 1066 to match the FSB, since it's supported, is it worth the $$? I only see 1 option for that on newegg (I'm looking at 2GB sticks)
Will I initially need any extra cooling for my system? I won't be overclocking on day one but perhaps down the road. I know I still have a long way to go on before I build or even purchase anything but I wanted to get some opinions and expertise.
Thank you.

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
as far as i can see get an intel based board x38 or x48, the 700 series is buggy and is slower than their intel counterparts, yes get pc2 8500, dont get the 8800 try and get the ati 48xx series, if you are OC'ing yes get a better cooler antec freezer pro is very good and very cheap, PSU there are loads out there i use the seasonic 750m from what i can remember lol

gaiden

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
if you are sold on SLI's i would suggest a 780i chipset board, i'd went with q9300, at the least, for $60 more (there are cheaper ones online tho). PSU would be a Corsair 750w or Silverstone 850W (also SeaSonic and PCP&C in similar W range) RAM... i dont know your budget but DDR2 800's are very affordable and 1066 are good too so if you can afford 1066's why not. (G-Skill, Kingston, Corsair)

thurst0n

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Fowang-I was thinking heavily about going for a crossfire enabled board instead of the SLI, in which case yes I would go for an Intel board.

Where is your documentation that the 700 series is buggy, everything I have read/seen about the board I linked to is good news.

Gaiden- I am very interested in the q9300 or the q9450(i think) However i have pretty much decided that I dont have the budget to go with those, even though they are much better chips imo for really not too much more as you said.

As for the 780i, Again it's just too expensive for me, I need to cut costs across the board. I am not sold on SLI, I think the 750i SLI FTW sold me. Not so much the SLI part just the FTW part, I look at the specs and read reviews, and it seems to be as good as 780i if not better for what I'm looking for.

Can anyone suggest specific Intel chipset if I wanted to go the crossfire route, which I may very well do, once I see what the 1GB 4870 and the 4870x2 Costs. I most likely won't be buying anything until these options were available.