Looking for a powerful single-PCIE-slot solution.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Ok, I've been doing a bit of thinking and I'm starting to seriously consider my options. See, I'm running the following...

OS____Windows XP Home SP3
CPU___AMD Athlon X2 3800+ / 2.8GHz
HSF___Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Mobo__GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3
GPU___GeForce 7600GT, 256MB GDDR3
RAM___A-DATA Extreme, 2GB, DDR2 800 / 4-4-4-12
PSU___FSP Group 450W
HDD___Western Digital Caviar 250GB
Case__Antec Nine Hundred

And I want to game rather well. I've pretty much made a sure decision that I'll be getting a Dell Ultrasharp 2408 monitor with beautiful colors, 1920 x 1200, 6 ms response and every video input connection known to man (and some probably unknown). Now I realize that with my system being what it is, I won't be able to experience all the glory of any new high end video card (due to the Athlon X2), but I still like my pretty graphics and I do plan to upgrade to the next big platform (Nehalem/X58 vs Deneb/AM3) sometime in the winter (depending on who comes out on top).

So, my question is, what would be a reliable single-PCIE-slot solution for 1920x1200 resolution that could max out (or almost max out) all settings with most modern games? And Crysis is, of course, the exception. Also, as for what I play, I'm mostly an RTS and FPS kind of person when it comes to PC. Supreme Commander, TF2, Bioshock, World in Conflict, etc, etc. And a recommended minimum PSU might also be in order.

Edit - And here's a part 2. I may also decide to tough it out until the winter when ATi/Nvidia duke it out again with their latest and greatest, so I have thought about perhaps waiting until then and just upgrade the entire system rather than piece by piece. Of course, a 7600GT is still pretty weak, so I thought about trying a slightly weaker, but dependable, solution to hold me over until the colder months. Something maybe hovering around the $100 mark and can still run on a 450W PSU (so I don't have to upgrade that). Thoughts?

For a powerful single slot solution, a 4870 would be a good choice, or a 4870x2 if you can wait. A GTX 260 wouldn't be too bad either, now that they're down to the appropriate price range. The ATI cards absolutely fly in Bioshock, but the Nvidia one would be better for Crysis. Supreme Commander will probably still stutter some, as it is very CPU limited, but other than that and Crysis, everything should be maxed on these cards. The ATI cards are also a bit better at AA. For these cards, you'd probably want at least a good 600W PSU.

For a cheaper one that'll run on a 450W, a 4850 should do fine, and it would still be able to max out most games.