Northbridge temperature - kinda emergency!!

G

hey there..

i bought a new computer like 2 days ago.. first of all, i'm going to give you the list of components i have.

ASUS Maximus formula II motherboard
Intel Pentium E8500 dual core 3.0 ghz
OCZ 2x2GB 1066 mhz reaper RAM
HIS ATI RADEON 4860 512 bit HD display card
500 gb seagate sata2 HDD
linksys pci wireless card

Thermal Take CM 690 mid tower
thermaltake 850 watt high power
1x thermaltake 120mm fan (1200 rpm - back)
1x thermaltake 120 mm fan (1200 rpm - front)
2x Alphacool 120 mm fan (1200 rpm - up exhaust)
2x alphacool 120 mm fan (1200 rpm - rear exhaust)
1x thermaltake (dont know model but a good cooler with head pipes and stuff.. something costs 65 USD)
1x ASUS mini chipset cooler fan (3500 rpm - some free pci-slot, held with hot silicone)

-----

the problem is, there is a weird temperature increasing when i'm playing a game or something...
here is the temperature details taken from ASUS PROBE II just after stopped playing Test Drive Unlimited:

CPU: 25 C
Motherboard: 36 C
SouthBridge: 48 C
NorthBridge: 78 C
Chasis: 33 C
PSU: 28 C

northbridge's temperature is weirdly high, isn't it? especially for that cooling equipment. with no process (30 mins idle mode) NB temperature is 68 C. thats freakin me out! does anyone have any ideas or advises? this baby is NEW and really good machine... please someone help me.. or this thing may explode...

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I'm not surprised seeing how ASUS & GB can't not hook up the SB, NB & mosfet cooling together like a bbq. nvidia is the worst offender. 78C may be the lowest they have. I replaced the heatpipe crap with individual sinks & better TIM and the temps dropped by 20C+. My X38 NB is 37C idle.

G

Can u be more specific...i seem to have the same problem with an asus rampage and Q9450. I didn't understood from your answer that should I change...

Kari

Splendid
first of all I wouldn't trust asus probe, it rarely gets temps right or just messes up which is which... that northbridge temp could very well be GPU temp...
download coretemp, realtemp, speedfan and gpu-z and do a little comparison on the readings...

G

well now u're of course right! i'm talking about a high north bridge temperature shown in an idle situation in bios :)

the cpu temp is way nice like in 25 celsius and less and NB temp si 50+ celsius which is not right :) and i've overcloaked the cpu from 2,6 to 3,2 and in mass effect crushed....and it's for sure not from the source (1000 W Chieftec) and the noctua cooler from the cpu is way cool :) the only high temp i get is from the NB....i will buy tomorrow a cooler and let u know the results....

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
i was getting 42C on the north bridge, ASUS p5q pro p45 motherboard, i think the new chipsets from intel run hot, the only thing you can do put a fan in the side of the case with the air blowing over the chipset, or change the heat sink, did both myself and it never runs above 29C, plus the temps on the CPU came down

G

The CPU temp is really OK. My problem was only with the NB temp. but i will buy tommorow a NB chipset cooler and hope all will be alright...

thanks rangers for your post....

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
check the Northbride voltage settings in the BIOS, if set to Auto, it could be pullin too much voltage wich could be the issue.

find out the voltage setting for stock on the northbridge of ur mobo, and setit above that by a few steps to cater for the CPU overclock.

Shadowmaker01

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hi I have same problem with my Asus Formula 2.
When I play Silent Hunter 5 my PC just turns off and in BIOS I get error message.
NB temp hi.
I bought motherboard a year ago and I really don't know why it just of a sudden starts malfunctioning.
When it is under load it starts shutting down.
I had EVGA motherboard it was doing same thing when it's capacitor got fried.
So because of that I bought MAXIMUS.
I haven't clocked or done anything to config.

Maximus II Formula
3072MB RAM
Core2 Quad CPU q6600
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

P.S.
Did you found out problem?