Sign in with
Your question

Liquid Cooled Q9450 hitting 67c temps? Please help!!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 22, 2009 7:55:34 PM

I have a Q9450 on an Asus p5n-d mobo OC'ed to 3.2ghz from 2.66ghz.

My voltage is 1.22, and I use a thermaltake bigwater 760i liquid cooling kit with artic silver 5.

With full cpu load (prime95) i sit at 65c-67c, and idle is 50-52c. Something is very wrong with this picture if others can hit under 40c with full load on aircoolers. I was under the impression that liquid = win. What am I doing wrong here?

FYI non-OC'ed at stock speeds and 1.16 volts, my temps are 40c on idle and 55-60c with full load.

Additionally, i'm using positive pressure in my case (just incase your wondering)

Thanks for all your help guys!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2009 7:57:22 PM

^ did you try to reseat the water block?
July 22, 2009 8:02:26 PM

yes, I pulled is off completely, cleaned the cpu, put on new artic silver 5 and re-seated the kit. I made sure that the pressure on all 4 sides of the cpu were even.

Now, I am using realtemp to read my temps and I have heard that nothing can properly read a Q9450 on the P5N-D, but i'm still worried.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the bigwater sucks and there goes $120 down the drain. But I really hope that's not the case.

Here is a link to the kit I use.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1160&ID=16...
Related resources
July 22, 2009 8:10:59 PM

Yeah ThermalTake LC kits aren't the best.
July 22, 2009 8:19:47 PM

Crappy water cooling kit's are worse than good air cooling. If you want good water cooling, you need to build it custom.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2009 8:21:16 PM

water cooling is good for getting heat off the cpu, but if you cant get the heat out of the water, the whole system is just going to heat up.
July 22, 2009 8:21:41 PM

man, not what I wanted to hear..... But thank you for the info guys. I figured as much. *sigh.

Well then, any ideas for the best air cooler to replace my POS liquid kit? I don't care about price or weight of the cooler, just that it keeps my Q9450 (while OC'ed 24/7) at the lowest temps possable.

Off subject, are there any current air coolers that are pure copper? Like the older Butterfly cooler? (I think copperheatpipes are not as good as pure copper, fins inc).
July 22, 2009 8:25:15 PM

Like the blackknight cpu cooler, just not aluminum? Or is it just wishful thinking?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2009 8:25:30 PM

the thermaltake ultra 120 is a good air cooler. and yes, it comes in a solid copper version. surprisingly, it doesnt offer better cooling than the hybrid aluminum/copper cooler, it does however weigh several lbs more. people have apparently ripped their socket right off their board with it. ^^

it sure is pretty tho.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2009 8:27:21 PM

neon neophyte said:
it does however weigh several lbs more. people have apparently ripped their socket right off their board with it. ^^

it sure is pretty tho.

LOL
yeah, that is why it is not a good idea to move your case with one of those installed (=
July 22, 2009 8:34:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard good things about the CCF because of the direct contact heat pipes, but how does it compare this the zermtherm full copper heatsink that's got full copper contact?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is there anything better than the CCF? I'm looking to keep my temps below 50c at full load with an OC'ed Q9450 at 1.22 volts.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2009 8:38:08 PM

blackcross said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard good things about the CCF because of the direct contact heat pipes, but how does it compare this the zermtherm full copper heatsink that's got full copper contact?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is there anything better than the CCF? I'm looking to keep my temps below 50c at full load with an OC'ed Q9450 at 1.22 volts.

yes, the CCF is great, it is rated number 2 on frosty tech
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

I do believe that it is better than the titan ttc though,

every time i have tested it has performed slightly better (=
July 23, 2009 3:58:24 AM

Not sure how the big water cooler is designed, Is there a chance you can ad another Rad to the loop? Sure for a decent Rad you will be looking at 60-100 dollars, but at least might have a decent water cooling loop. When I went water cooling I skipped the kits, and spent around $350 dollars at the Den and other stores. My Phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz on 1.39 volts Idles at 29C and load is never more then 45C

Good luck with what ever you decide to go with
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2009 4:18:17 AM

Med,

The pump on the bigwater is more than likely only set up to handle a single rad...

So if you add a second rad to the loop it would be a fail (=
July 24, 2009 12:56:56 AM

I think you guys are right, in that the rad is too small and the product as a whole is just not up to par. I should have gone custom.

Still, in picking an air cpu cooler, I do like overshocked suggestion of the CCF.
July 24, 2009 1:17:39 AM

Also take alook at the Xigmatek Dark Knight and Scythe Mugen 2.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2009 3:39:36 AM

^
HSH For The Win!

And the CCF if you dont want to make a HSH.

LOL.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2009 3:40:02 AM

blackcross said:
I think you guys are right, in that the rad is too small and the product as a whole is just not up to par. I should have gone custom.

Still, in picking an air cpu cooler, I do like overshocked suggestion of the CCF.

Sell you WC on ebay.
July 24, 2009 7:32:42 AM

Or just add your own rad into the loop to start with. That makes a massive difference.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2009 7:35:07 AM

^mugz, not sure if that would work for the reason that those pumps are only made to handle what they have and a rad will slow down water alot...

i just dont think the pump is capable of pumping water through another rad.

Really seams like throwing good money after bad to me.
July 24, 2009 10:46:38 AM

I agree he should either sell it or send it back for his money. And if he wants water cooling he can buy a better kit or get different parts for it.
a c 86 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2009 11:41:21 AM

I don't know about that kit, but perhaps he can add a fan or two to the rad. If you get the rad outside the case, and attach a couple of 120mm fans to it, you might be able to cool the water better. This would be a lot cheaper then buying a new block. I would also remove any NB/GPU blocks as well.
August 16, 2009 8:38:50 PM

overshocked said:
Med,

The pump on the bigwater is more than likely only set up to handle a single rad...

So if you add a second rad to the loop it would be a fail (=

Yeah your right, I think the kit he has, sorry to say is junk. If your going to go water cooling, do it right, it my be expensive to do it right, around $350 bucks, but it can be transfered to your next rig, and the next..... so on and so forth. My rig is staying right at 32C on the cpu and 30C on the motherboard. I am loving it. :D 
August 17, 2009 12:22:39 AM

Hi yes, i think air cooling will be the best option for you. Watercooling needs to be done properly which means buying the highest quality parts and investing a lot of time in it. A good rad will just cost you around 130$. Core contact is a good choice, so is the true. here is a break down of my WC kit, it took me way 2 many hours to get the results i wanted.
-------
XSPC rad = 130
3x Delta fan = 55$
Tygon 1/2 tubing = 30$
Distilled water = 3$
Swiftech Gtz = 70$
Danger den pump = 70$
------------------------------
Total = 358$ lol
i wasnt happy with my results before even after spending that much but after ocing my cpu it runs very very cool.
my temps with q9550 @ 3.85 ghz (1.27v, running intel burn test) are

idle 29-29-29-29C
load 42-41-41-41C
Ambient temp = 26C

Gl with your quest. Try to sell your kit on ebay if you can, i have seen them go between 65-90 dollars, or return it if you can :) 
August 17, 2009 2:29:58 AM

blackcross said:
man, not what I wanted to hear..... But thank you for the info guys. I figured as much. *sigh.

Well then, any ideas for the best air cooler to replace my POS liquid kit? I don't care about price or weight of the cooler, just that it keeps my Q9450 (while OC'ed 24/7) at the lowest temps possable.

Off subject, are there any current air coolers that are pure copper? Like the older Butterfly cooler? (I think copperheatpipes are not as good as pure copper, fins inc).

What coolant are you using?
The fans on the Rad spinning up properly at mid high's rpm? Balanced?

TRUE 120 Copper is a full 2kg chuck of copper and currently the best air cooler you can get on the market. The only problem is that its too heavy and requires 3rd party retention support (maybe a fishing line holding the tip of it around the top of the case)

August 17, 2009 4:15:04 AM

Matthew Kane said:
What coolant are you using?
The fans on the Rad spinning up properly at mid high's rpm? Balanced?

TRUE 120 Copper is a full 2kg chuck of copper and currently the best air cooler you can get on the market. The only problem is that its too heavy and requires 3rd party retention support (maybe a fishing line holding the tip of it around the top of the case)

lol heh , sorry to burst your bubble man but the best air cooler on the market is thermalright IFX-14. it eats any other air cooler for food. It is 4C cooler(under idle and load) compared to TRUE and will hold 3 x 120 or 140mm fans; for speedy or silent operation.

The test was done by xbitlabs on an i7 920...Gl" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
August 17, 2009 6:30:28 PM

Wow, now that is some serious air cooling!!!
August 17, 2009 6:32:43 PM

I am using Fluid XP UV red and love it so far. I used the fluid XP ultra in my last loop, it also did a very good job.
August 17, 2009 10:23:22 PM

freezed1 said:
lol heh , sorry to burst your bubble man but the best air cooler on the market is thermalright IFX-14. it eats any other air cooler for food. It is 4C cooler(under idle and load) compared to TRUE and will hold 3 x 120 or 140mm fans; for speedy or silent operation.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk309/haris525/Readytogo.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk309/haris525/104_diagr3_oc-Xbitlabs.png
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk309/haris525/104_diagr3_oc-Xbitlabs.png

The test was done by xbitlabs on an i7 920...Gl" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
August 18, 2009 2:11:41 PM

Matthew Kane said:
Yeah you can't always refer to benchmarks by "other" people. They give a outline and view of what the products will be like, but nothing is the same, including setup, cpu, overclock and case/cable management in the case. Fair enough Xbitlabs test their shows that the IFX is best when they tested, but it would be a different story on my test bench and or in my case. Here where I am, the TRUE is best for its value, best bang for buck and its performance.

hey ya if that works for you why not :pt1cable:  ....btw there are not 1 but 4 in total websites that list the thermalright ifx-14 VS TRUE and guess who wins; the IFX :) , i know they are all wrong though :pt1cable:  google it. But if your cooler makes you happy then i got no complaints.
!