Liquid Cooled Q9450 hitting 67c temps? Please help!!

blackcross

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I have a Q9450 on an Asus p5n-d mobo OC'ed to 3.2ghz from 2.66ghz.

My voltage is 1.22, and I use a thermaltake bigwater 760i liquid cooling kit with artic silver 5.

With full cpu load (prime95) i sit at 65c-67c, and idle is 50-52c. Something is very wrong with this picture if others can hit under 40c with full load on aircoolers. I was under the impression that liquid = win. What am I doing wrong here?

FYI non-OC'ed at stock speeds and 1.16 volts, my temps are 40c on idle and 55-60c with full load.

Additionally, i'm using positive pressure in my case (just incase your wondering)

Thanks for all your help guys!

blackcross

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
yes, I pulled is off completely, cleaned the cpu, put on new artic silver 5 and re-seated the kit. I made sure that the pressure on all 4 sides of the cpu were even.

Now, I am using realtemp to read my temps and I have heard that nothing can properly read a Q9450 on the P5N-D, but i'm still worried.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the bigwater sucks and there goes $120 down the drain. But I really hope that's not the case.

Here is a link to the kit I use.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1160&ID=1616

blackcross

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
man, not what I wanted to hear..... But thank you for the info guys. I figured as much. *sigh.

Well then, any ideas for the best air cooler to replace my POS liquid kit? I don't care about price or weight of the cooler, just that it keeps my Q9450 (while OC'ed 24/7) at the lowest temps possable.

Off subject, are there any current air coolers that are pure copper? Like the older Butterfly cooler? (I think copperheatpipes are not as good as pure copper, fins inc).

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
the thermaltake ultra 120 is a good air cooler. and yes, it comes in a solid copper version. surprisingly, it doesnt offer better cooling than the hybrid aluminum/copper cooler, it does however weigh several lbs more. people have apparently ripped their socket right off their board with it. ^^

it sure is pretty tho.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

LOL
yeah, that is why it is not a good idea to move your case with one of those installed (=

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

yes, the CCF is great, it is rated number 2 on frosty tech
http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

I do believe that it is better than the titan ttc though,

every time i have tested it has performed slightly better (=

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Not sure how the big water cooler is designed, Is there a chance you can ad another Rad to the loop? Sure for a decent Rad you will be looking at 60-100 dollars, but at least might have a decent water cooling loop. When I went water cooling I skipped the kits, and spent around $350 dollars at the Den and other stores. My Phenom II 940 @ 3.6ghz on 1.39 volts Idles at 29C and load is never more then 45C

Good luck with what ever you decide to go with

blackcross

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I think you guys are right, in that the rad is too small and the product as a whole is just not up to par. I should have gone custom.

Still, in picking an air cpu cooler, I do like overshocked suggestion of the CCF.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

Sell you WC on ebay.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
^mugz, not sure if that would work for the reason that those pumps are only made to handle what they have and a rad will slow down water alot...

i just dont think the pump is capable of pumping water through another rad.

Really seams like throwing good money after bad to me.

4745454b

Titan
I don't know about that kit, but perhaps he can add a fan or two to the rad. If you get the rad outside the case, and attach a couple of 120mm fans to it, you might be able to cool the water better. This would be a lot cheaper then buying a new block. I would also remove any NB/GPU blocks as well.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008

Yeah your right, I think the kit he has, sorry to say is junk. If your going to go water cooling, do it right, it my be expensive to do it right, around $350 bucks, but it can be transfered to your next rig, and the next..... so on and so forth. My rig is staying right at 32C on the cpu and 30C on the motherboard. I am loving it. :D