Sign in with
Your question

Home Networking With a Switch

Last response: in Networking
February 13, 2009 12:13:20 PM

I have just purchased a ge smart connection center that has a cc-es5000 ethernet switch I use to run my home network on a router and had no problems. I am running xp pro and have run the network set up wizard internet works on the computers but no computers show up on the network accept the one I am on at any given time. Is there something different you have to do with a switch as opposed to a router?

More about : home networking switch

February 13, 2009 2:38:52 PM

The difference is in the cabling:
PC to switch: straight through Cat5 RJ45
PC to Router: crossover cable Cat5 RJ45
February 13, 2009 3:13:21 PM

Did your router have a DHCP? Are you still using the router behind the switch?
If you don't use the router anymore, you will have to assign ip addresses to your pc's.
Make sure that they are all in the same subnetwork with the same mask.
on every pc ping your TCP/IP stack by pinging your local loopback 127.0.0.1
After that try pinging the assigned ip addresses (ping your NIC),
Then try pinging other pc's.

If all your hardware is OK, it most likely is a windows issue.
In that case: good luck.
Related resources
February 13, 2009 3:49:32 PM

Thanks for the reply I am not completely network savvy so bear with me. I did put the router in front of the switcher and now I can see the computers on my network. But I would rather not have to use the router if possible. So if I understand what you are saying I could elimanate the router but would have to assign unique ip addresses to each PC. The subnet mask and default gateway address should be the same on all computers on the network hopefully I have that correct
February 13, 2009 4:13:14 PM

Most ISPs don't supply a router/modem combo, at least not in my area. If they only supply the modem you will need a router to handle DHCP for more than 1 address. If the router you have now is a normal SOHO/small office home office type router than you already are running a router and switch combo.

Also make sure that you have shared a folder on each computer.
February 15, 2009 12:48:22 PM

pez_62 said:
Thanks for the reply I am not completely network savvy so bear with me. I did put the router in front of the switcher and now I can see the computers on my network. But I would rather not have to use the router if possible. So if I understand what you are saying I could elimanate the router but would have to assign unique ip addresses to each PC. The subnet mask and default gateway address should be the same on all computers on the network hopefully I have that correct

You will need the router as it translates your private IP addresses to a global IP address to communicate with you ISP.
Setup: Router ---> Switch ---> PC's.

Your private IP address should start with 192.168.1.x where x is the number assigned to the PC
.1 is the usually the router (inside) and .2 and up are the hosts (pc's, wap's etc)
You can't use .0 and .255 as .0 is your subnet and .255 is the broadcast address for the .0 subnet.

Windows
Make sure all pc's are in the same network group (WORKGROUP)

!