Files ans Settings Transfer Wizard

HELP!!! My mom had to have the hard drive on her Dell replaced. She used the
FSTW to backup her info. Now, she's got a new hard drive, and she's
reinstalled most of her applications. Everything seems to be running fine.
However, we can'T get to her backed-up info... I can see the .DAT file on the
CD-ROM, but when I use FSTW to get to those files, it tells me I have
inserted the wrong disk...

Yves
6 answers Last reply
More about files settings transfer wizard

    Is that the exact error message?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "YvesDoucet" <YvesDoucet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > HELP!!! My mom had to have the hard drive on her Dell replaced. She used
    the
    > FSTW to backup her info. Now, she's got a new hard drive, and she's
    > reinstalled most of her applications. Everything seems to be running fine.
    > However, we can'T get to her backed-up info... I can see the .DAT file on
    the
    > CD-ROM, but when I use FSTW to get to those files, it tells me I have
    > inserted the wrong disk...
    >
    > Yves

    I am getting similiar response. before reformeting my system and
    re-installing XP i used the wizard to save my settings and some valuable
    documents. After setting my system back up I try to run the wizard again
    pointing to a secondary drive (where I stored my settings) and get this exact
    response:
    "The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please
    type a valid folder into the edit box.
    If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in
    the drive"
    I checked the folder on my drive named 'backup' and insdie it there is
    another folder called 'USMT2.UNC' inside it I have a 'status' file and
    IMG00001 files.
    What could be wrong? Is it because I do not have the same user login info?
    Thanks,
    Smitty

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

    > Is that the exact error message?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "YvesDoucet" <YvesDoucet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > HELP!!! My mom had to have the hard drive on her Dell replaced. She used
    > the
    > > FSTW to backup her info. Now, she's got a new hard drive, and she's
    > > reinstalled most of her applications. Everything seems to be running fine.
    > > However, we can'T get to her backed-up info... I can see the .DAT file on
    > the
    > > CD-ROM, but when I use FSTW to get to those files, it tells me I have
    > > inserted the wrong disk...
    > >
    > > Yves

    Have you tried pointing to the file 'USMT2.UNC'

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Smitty" <Smitty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting similiar response. before reformeting my system and
    > re-installing XP i used the wizard to save my settings and some valuable
    > documents. After setting my system back up I try to run the wizard again
    > pointing to a secondary drive (where I stored my settings) and get this
    > exact
    > response:
    > "The location that you specified does not contain stored information.
    > Please
    > type a valid folder into the edit box.
    > If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in
    > the drive"
    > I checked the folder on my drive named 'backup' and insdie it there is
    > another folder called 'USMT2.UNC' inside it I have a 'status' file and
    > IMG00001 files.
    > What could be wrong? Is it because I do not have the same user login info?
    > Thanks,
    > Smitty
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >
    >> Is that the exact error message?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "YvesDoucet" <YvesDoucet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > HELP!!! My mom had to have the hard drive on her Dell replaced. She
    >> > used
    >> the
    >> > FSTW to backup her info. Now, she's got a new hard drive, and she's
    >> > reinstalled most of her applications. Everything seems to be running
    >> > fine.
    >> > However, we can'T get to her backed-up info... I can see the .DAT file
    >> > on
    >> the
    >> > CD-ROM, but when I use FSTW to get to those files, it tells me I have
    >> > inserted the wrong disk...
    >> >
    >> > Yves

    BTW how did she save to the CD? FAST can not save directly to CD so she
    either saved the file to the hard drive and burned the file after or she
    used a packet formatted disk (one preformatted with a program like DLA or
    InCD or Drag to Disk). If the former then perhaps the CD is damaged or the
    file is corrupt. You might be able to use ISOBuster to retrieve the file off
    the CD if damaged. If the later then you may need to finalized the UDF disk
    in order to read it.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "YvesDoucet" <YvesDoucet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > HELP!!! My mom had to have the hard drive on her Dell replaced. She used
    > the
    > FSTW to backup her info. Now, she's got a new hard drive, and she's
    > reinstalled most of her applications. Everything seems to be running fine.
    > However, we can'T get to her backed-up info... I can see the .DAT file on
    > the
    > CD-ROM, but when I use FSTW to get to those files, it tells me I have
    > inserted the wrong disk...
    >
    > Yves

    Just took care of problem I have been dealing with for 2 weeks... It was so
    simple it is not even funny. It just hit me after I posted this msg. When I
    Backed up with FAST I was running SP2. When I re-installed I had not upgraded
    yet. Funny how I could not find that info anywhere. But anyway after updating
    to SP2 and rebooting, I ran ir and everything is transfering just fine. Did
    not know there was a difference between the two. Hopefully this will help
    others. <YvesDoucet> Is this your case? very well could be..

    Thanks for the update and your fix.

    --

    > Just took care of problem I have been dealing with for 2 weeks... It was
    so
    > simple it is not even funny. It just hit me after I posted this msg. When
    > Backed up with FAST I was running SP2. When I re-installed I had not
    upgraded
    > yet. Funny how I could not find that info anywhere. But anyway after
    updating
    > to SP2 and rebooting, I ran ir and everything is transfering just fine.
    Did
    > not know there was a difference between the two. Hopefully this will help
    > others. <YvesDoucet> Is this your case? very well could be..
    >

    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >
    > > Have you tried pointing to the file 'USMT2.UNC'
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "Smitty" <Smitty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I am getting similiar response. before reformeting my system and
    > > > re-installing XP i used the wizard to save my settings and some
    valuable
    > > > documents. After setting my system back up I try to run the wizard
    again
    > > > pointing to a secondary drive (where I stored my settings) and get
    this
    > > > exact
    > > > response:
    > > > "The location that you specified does not contain stored information.
    > > > Please
    > > > type a valid folder into the edit box.
    > > > If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must
    be in
    > > > the drive"
    > > > I checked the folder on my drive named 'backup' and insdie it there is
    > > > another folder called 'USMT2.UNC' inside it I have a 'status' file and
    > > > IMG00001 files.
    > > > What could be wrong? Is it because I do not have the same user login
    info?
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Smitty

Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP