ECS GeForce 7050M-M BIOS issue

larrythethird

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I have been having issues trying to update the BIOS on the board I got from Fry's real cheap. My eyes are not that good, but during boot, I noticed some strange messages. All I have is my low res phone camera to capture the message, so it may not all be correct. I think it says:
MC68 Video BIOS
Version 5.67.32..25.00
Build 0678065.2
Engineering Release - Not For Production Use
Copyright (C) 1996-2006 NVIDIA Corp.
256 Meg RAM

When I contacted ECS because the BIOS ROM size is wrong from their updates page, they sent back the instructions on flashing the BIOS. I replied that I had obviously read them and they didn't work. And that was the last I heard. To me, it sounds like ECS got a bunch of discarded motherboards and sold them anyway. Has anyone else encountered this type of issue? Has anyone found a BIOS ROM file that actually loads?

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
That's correct. The 1st POST should be GPU. 2nd be BIOS/MOBO. Last being RAID. Then the screen scrolls down & windows loading up.

"Engineering Release - Not For Production Use" also known as engineering sample is distributed to a small number of people for testing the product. It could be that someone else flashed the bios to ES and returned it to Fry's. I don't think anyone will catch it except for General Eagle Eye. :)

Looks like the $60 ECS GeForce 7050M-M + cpu deal? Make sure the bios is made for the correct mobo model and revision. You should be able to find it on their site. i.e.:

http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=835&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Bios&MenuID=46&LanID=9

larrythethird

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
The updated BIOS on their site is useless. I have tried to use it but with no luck. Every time I have tried, the flash utility says that the ROM file size is wrong. I have even downloaded the flash utility from Award and had the same results. I contacted ECS's support and all they would give me is the instructions to flash the BIOS. I don't think they have more than $5/hr people handling their support functions. I received an obviously canned response with no further replies.

I really doubt that the video BIOS would have been flashed by an end user. Knowing a bit about how hardware is made, to me it looks like this was a mobo that should have not ever been on a shelf. I would bet that there are quite a few of these sold through Fry's, since they would never actually check to see if they are selling the proper product. They only check things if you want your money back.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
That's an important piece of advice not to be ignored. There are two different GeForce7050M-M board versions; 1.0 and 2.0.

PCB V1.0 = Socket AM2 with 512KB BIOS

PCB V2.0 = Socket AM2+ with 1024KB BIOS

The board should have the version screen printed somewhere on it. When you find it, confirm you have the correct BIOS:

V1.0 Socket AM2

V2.0 Socket AM2+

G