help me choose my build

Tomro1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
hi everybody!

So, this is the first time I'm going to buy a pc that's not prebuild. But, I'm stuck with choosing the richt components, so I would like to get some help and suggestions..

First of all, the things that are most important to me is, that it can run pratically everything of games at high texture, but not high resolution. And, most important for me is that the damn thing is silent, and with silent I mean like going to sleep with it without hearing the bastard.

I've searched alot the last month for information but I'm still stuck for a few things.

What I do know, is this list:
CPU is the Q9450 and memory of 2x 2gb ddr2 800mhz, so that I can overclock my Q9450 FSB to 400 and run it at 1:1 with the mobo.
HDD's are 2x 500GB 32mb cache in RAID 0
And the case is the Cosmos S.

Now, my main concern is my mobo. I don't know alot about mobo's and all, so that's why I'm writing this ;) The only thing I know is what it needs to be able to do.
It must support DDR2 to 8GB
2x PCI-E 16x 2.0 (so not an P45 chipset)
Good for overclocking my CPU to 3,2 GHZ
Fanless! (not like the EVGA series)

Think thats most of it..
At this point I'm would be going for a Maximus Formula, also cause it can handle 8 fans (I have 16 fans so thats already half), but I don't know if it's the best one for me..

Uhm, second thing I don't know is the PSU..
It has to be silent, like really silent!! and also be able to give enough power for:
2 graph cards, the cpu, 4 DDR2 rams, 1 dvd player, 4 HDD's, and 16 fans..

Uhm, geuss thats all. If you don't understand everything, let me know :na: .
And if there are any other thing I need to look for, please tell me!

gaiden

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
why 16 fans...? are you pointing the back of the case towards you for air?? fans in a nutshell, generally, the bigger they are the quieter... so get somethign like the Aerocool 140mm fans, i own 3 of them for a wind tunneling setup and they are dead silent (while moving :p) anyways, unless you are trying to cooling yourself too, i really dont see the point of 16 fans... i have 10 at one point and even that is overkill (now down to 6). with fan in mind your biggest noise will be coming from the video card fans ... i assume you will want to get the good ones (so that would be ati 4800's or at least nvidia's 8800's) trade for good performance is heat and you WILL have to trade that off for a high fan speed which naturally translate into jet engine sound. all in all pick a nicely ventilated case that holds big fans. (I own a Lian Li v2100 plus II and it's got tons of room inside as well as holds noise very effectively even though there are holes all over for air to go through) so there hope that helps

gl

Tomro1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Well, I don't actually know how many fans I will be using, but if I use them all, it will be 16 fans (all s-flex 800rpm). My tought was to buy 2 4850's and get rid of the stock cooler, cause it seems that the coolers on a graphic card makes the most noise. And then put a Arctic Accelero S1 Rev. 2 on them, with maybe if its really necessary mount 2 case fans on top of them (like the effect of a turbo module on it).

And yes, at the end it will probably cool my room XD..

But it could be that 8 or 1à fans are already enough..

Any other toughts for a mobo or PSU?

Tomro1

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Ok, I've put something together but i'm not sure if it's all the best choice.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula
CPU: Q9450 @ 3,2Ghz
CPU cooler: Thermaltake Sonic Tower REV 2
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos S
Case fans: 10x Scythe S-flex 800RPM
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ,7200RPM, 32MB, 500GB in RAID 0
Memory: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5,4096MB, 800MHz
VGA: choice 1: 2x HD4850
choice 2: 1x HD4850 (for the option of having a 2nd slot available for in the future)
VGA cooler: Accelero S1 Rev. 2
PSU: choice 1: chieftec turbo 750w
choice 2: xilence 800w
(the one thats most silent)

Is this a good configuration? Or else, what could I improve?

And also, is this motherboard the best choice? an what would you guys suggest for a VGA card? And PSU?