Does Arctic Silver 5 really make a big differance?

I recently ordered the Corsair H50 watercooler. By the reviews iv'e read, it performs on par/better than a TRUE, and takes up alot less space. (to look at it go to Corsair.com). Anyway i was wondering if i should by arctic silver 5 and use it instead of the TIM it has applied already. Is Arctic Silver 5 really that good?
15 answers Last reply
More about does arctic silver make differance
  1. Artic silver 5 is pretty good.
    It will drop your temps a decent amount. If it were any other heatsink i would say go for it.

But the h50 doesnt work reall well with other thermal pastes because when you mount it it doesnt spread it out evenly.

so i would just go with the stock because it will give you lower temps than if you put AS5 on.
  2. overshocked said:
    Artic silver 5 is pretty good.
    It will drop your temps a decent amount. If it were any other heatsink i would say go for it.

But the h50 doesnt work reall well with other thermal pastes because when you mount it it doesnt spread it out evenly.

so i would just go with the stock because it will give you lower temps than if you put AS5 on.

Oh ok thanks.
  3. Yeah, np
  4. ^ thats what you get for a 200-hr burn in time (=
  5. Quote:
    yah i read some reviews that it as5 releases its full potential after time

Right now I am at 38C with a Vendetta 2 and I just reinstalled my HS. I should lose 4C in 3 weeks. My temps are better now, but I was at 41C at idle 3 hours ago.

I cross my fingers, after 200 hours I was at 38C during the last installation.
  6. yannifb said:
    I recently ordered the Corsair H50 watercooler. By the reviews iv'e read, it performs on par/better than a TRUE, and takes up alot less space. (to look at it go to Corsair.com). Anyway i was wondering if i should by arctic silver 5 and use it instead of the TIM it has applied already. Is Arctic Silver 5 really that good?

Where did you get your Corsair H50 from? I really am interested in buying it but am not completely convinced. Let us know how it goes once you receive the cooler.
    As for the AS5 thermal compound, I would get it. I mean you might not need it right away but what if your installation goes wrong and you have to reapply the thermal paste. Or maybe you want to upgrade your processor later. It is always good to have paste laying around just in case, especially since it is only like five bucks.
  7. ragsters said:
    Where did you get your Corsair H50 from? I really am interested in buying it but am not completely convinced. Let us know how it goes once you receive the cooler.
    As for the AS5 thermal compound, I would get it. I mean you might not need it right away but what if your installation goes wrong and you have to reapply the thermal paste. Or maybe you want to upgrade your processor later. It is always good to have paste laying around just in case, especially since it is only like five bucks.

I'll keep you posted when it arrives.
  8. does arctic silver-5, mx2, ocz freeze give you better results than general silicone paste?? i am using the one which came with my vendetta 2.
  9. ^ yep all of those are much more conductive (=

and the CCF comes with some very nice thermal paste.
  10. sid_nag17 said:
    does arctic silver-5, mx2, ocz freeze give you better results than general silicone paste?? i am using the one which came with my vendetta 2.

I used AS5 with my Vendetta 2. What I can tell you is my Phenom II was idling at 23C average in Coretemp on a 20C summer day. Let's say 3C more than ambient temp in the best situation.

But until I really figure out what is wrong with my BIOS reading, I cannot really push forward these result. What I know is that my case temp is really good, near the same as the ambient temp so it's plausible.
  11. I removed and reapplied AS5 onto my CPU and GPU. The cooler for the CPU is a zalman V1 copper. The GPU are the stock heatsink fans. ...... time to wait! I was playing last night and was getting a higher reading... but that may be from me moving my fans around.
    I had my rear exhaust as an intake, the cpu cooler fan blowing into the case, 1 120mm fan on the top front as exhaust, 1 80mm fan on top rear as exhaust, 120 mm front intake fan as exhaust, and a 120mm side fan for intake onto my vid cards. :heink: *wha?*
    but anywho i swapped the airflow to come out the back of the case and put AS5 on everything.... so im waiting to see what happens. I think my idle temps on my GPU's rose about 5C i forgot to write them down prior...... meh oh well. I did see an improvement in gameplay though. CoD4 usually runs my gpu's temps up and my fan speed down. It did happen, but my fan speed gradually went up which was something new i noticed..... oh and also my GPU's temps are almost 10C difference...? that doesnt sound right. It was not like that before. They used to be 2-5max degrees difference...hrm.. :cry:
    My CPU stays cool for the most part, i will pay more attention to that now i am reading up on OCing that thing.
  12. "Does Arctic Silver 5 really make a big difference?"
    Maybe 2 C - 5 C difference if you are comparing it to cheap stuff. It's not a magic bullet. If you case airflow is not good, it will not cause a miraculously drop in core temperatures.
  13. i have 5 fans inside my case

1 side intake for gpu
    2 top exhaust
    1 front intake
    1 back exhaust

i have a cm690 case

im planning to get ocz freeze
  14. i have the same 690 case.. its just i didnt buy an extra top exhaust fan... my friend left his 80mm fan so i just stuck it in there. :o)
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Arctic Silver Corsair Overclocking